It’s looking like I may be in the minority in thinking that Doubt, the upcoming Meryl Streep/Philip Seymour Hoffman drama, has a good shot a scoring a Best Picture nomination. It stands in seventh place in Awards Daily and InContention‘s Best Picture polls, for instance. I understand where the naysayers are coming from: An intimate character piece, Doubt doesn’t boast the expansive production values of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Australia, or even Revolutionary Road. And with crowd-pleasers like The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire in the picture, a tougher film like Doubt could get squeezed out. But here’s why I think it may make the final five. It’s looking fairly likely that four of the film’s actors—Streep, Hoffman, Amy Adams, and Viola Davis—will earn acting nominations for their work in the movie. Since the Academy Awards began, 22 films have received four or more acting nominations. All 22 of them also made it into the Best Picture race. So for now, Doubt‘s got Oscar history on its side. But if one member of its acting quartet begins to lose momentum (Adams is probably the shakiest of the four, since her role is the least showy), then I could very easily end up being dead wrong.
Best Picture doubts for 'Doubt'?
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?
- 'Gotham' costume designer on what clothes tell us about each character
- 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more TV recaps
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Originals'; 'Gotham'; 'Jane the Virgin'; more TV recaps
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'SNL' adds Leslie Jones as cast member
- 'Star Wars' First Look: Alex Ross' cover for Marvel comic book
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Elena and Stefan are southbound?
- Disney announces 2016 release for animated feature 'Moana'
- Are we all numb to the atrocities of 'Walking Dead'?
- 'Gotham' costume secrets: Revealing details you may have missed
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: A pecs-tacular shirtless week
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack to be released on cassette tapes