Poof up your pompadours and put on your dancing shoes: Last year’s musical hit Hairspray is one bop closer toward a sequel. “We just got an outline and some ideas from John Waters, and now we’re going out to writers,” director Adam Shankman tells EW exclusively. The story will follow Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) and her pals as they navigate the “next era of music,” the late ’60s. “That period was superpolitical,” Shankman adds, “it was a time of serious change.” No kidding: According to the filmmaker, heartthrob Link (Zac Efron) will channel his inner Austin Powers and become steeped in the British Invasion. “We’re trying to track, in a comedic way, the historical elements.”
Adam Shankman talks 'Hairspray' sequel
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Ant-Man' Comic-Con poster: First Look
- Comic-Con 2014: Doc Jensen's picks
- Comic-Con '14: 8 buzzworthy TV panels
- Comic-Con '14: 10 hot movies in San Diego
- 'Once Upon a Time': 'Storybrooke has frozen over'
- 'Better Call Saul': Billboard has the number
- Comic-Con '14: Spotlight on comics/videogames
- 'Manhattan' First Look: Atomic bombs and bombshells
- Robert Downey Jr. on 'Iron Man 4': 'Why give up the belt?'
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Every 'The Simpsons' episode is going online
- See Carol, Judith, and Rick of 'The Walking Dead' in new season 5 images
- See Colton Haynes as Arsenal in 'Arrow' season 3