Poof up your pompadours and put on your dancing shoes: Last year’s musical hit Hairspray is one bop closer toward a sequel. “We just got an outline and some ideas from John Waters, and now we’re going out to writers,” director Adam Shankman tells EW exclusively. The story will follow Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky) and her pals as they navigate the “next era of music,” the late ’60s. “That period was superpolitical,” Shankman adds, “it was a time of serious change.” No kidding: According to the filmmaker, heartthrob Link (Zac Efron) will channel his inner Austin Powers and become steeped in the British Invasion. “We’re trying to track, in a comedic way, the historical elements.”
Nov 26 2008 09:00 PM ET
Adam Shankman talks 'Hairspray' sequel
- 'Divergent' First Look: See new EW cover
- 'World War Z': EW movie review
- 'Monsters University': EW movie review
- Sam Taylor-Johnson to direct 'Fifty Shades'
- 'Veronica Mars': 5 tweets we hope to see
- Danielle Bradbery deal with Big Machine
- 'Voice': Danielle Bradbery wins season 4
- Cher: Mentoring singers 'would be fun'
Find Movies and Showtimes
Choose Your Movie