Watchmen star Jackie Earle Haley has signed on to play Freddy Krueger in New Line’s forthcoming Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, EW has learned. The actor, who received an Oscar nomination for his role as a sex offender in 2006′s Little Children, will take on the part famously originated by Robert Englund when cameras roll on the franchise’s ninth film, titled A Nightmare on Elm Street, on May 5 in Chicago.
'Nightmare on Elm Street' reboot: Jackie Earle Haley to play Freddy Krueger
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL': How'd Lena Dunham do?
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- 'True Detective': Fun fan sites
- 'Supernatural' spinoff gets new title
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Bachelor': Clare and Juan Pablo find wedding song?
- TV pilot season: 10 trends for fall
- Stephen Colbert visits Jimmy Fallon: 'Truth or Truth?'
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Box office update: '300: Rise of an Empire' obliterates competition with a $17.7 million Friday
- Lena Dunham hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!