A producer of The Hurt Locker is in hot water after sending out an email to Hollywood insiders encouraging them to vote for his film for the Best Picture Oscar — and disparaging Avatar in the process. Nicolas Chartier, who through his company Voltage Pictures helped with the financing for The Hurt Locker, composed an email, obtained by Pete Hammond over at The Envelope, encouraging Academy voters to spread the word about his film, saying that “if everyone tells one or two of their friends, we will win and not a $500M film.” Such an email is in violation of the Academy’s campaign rules. Now, Chartier (who is listed as one of the film’s four nominated producers alongside Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal) has sent a follow-up apology message, saying “My naivete, ignorance of the rules and plain stupidity as a first time nominee is not an excuse for this behavior and I strongly regret it.” The Academy has not announced what, if any, punishment it will impose on Chartier; one possibility is the loss of seats to the ceremony on March 7. Either way, the last week of the Oscar season just wouldn’t be the last week of the Oscar season without some campaign controversy.
'Hurt Locker' producer breaks Academy rules with campaign email
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- 'Arrow' react: 'Seeing Red'
- 'Arrow' boss talks 'Seeing Red' shocker
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'Nashville' recap: Live From the Ryman
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty': Purr-plexed?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 656
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 498
- Slaves to Love 465
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Kenya Get Your Scepter 479
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online