In the wake of his breakout turn in this summer’s hit The Karate Kid, Jaden Smith has growing movie-star mojo — like his dad, Will, but scaled down to a 12-year-old’s size. So how will he capitalize on his newfound clout? Though his name, along with his sister Willow’s, has been attached to an adaptation of the kids’ graphic-novel series Amulet—a dark fantasy tale about two lost kids who are searching for their mother—Smith tells EW that isn’t on his immediate to-do list. Instead, his next film will most likely be 1000 A.E., a science-fiction project that’s being developed for him to star in, with M. Night Shyamalan slated to direct. “We’re reading the script right now,” he says. “I don’t want to give it away because that wouldn’t be tight, but it’s set in the future and it’s about a journey.” Perhaps not surprisingly, given the movie’s nearly $360 million global box office haul, Sony is also batting around the idea of a sequel to The Karate Kid. “They’re talking about it,” Smith says. Added to the mix is a script Disney recently purchased as a possible vehicle for Smith called Monster Witness Relocation Program. But just to be on the safe side, he’d better keep those karate skills sharp.
Jaden Smith exclusive: A possible sci-fi 'journey' with M. Night Shyamalan, and will there be another 'Karate Kid'?
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Tommy Flanagan, Theo Rossi talk 'Toil and Till'
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Big Brother'; 'Dancing With the Stars': Tuesday TV recaps
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Fantastic Fest 2014: 22 wonderfully weird films in Austin
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 539
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 481
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 375
- No Blood On His Hands 335
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: No second chance for a second dance