Wolverine might be cooling his heels — and his adamantium claws — for a bit following the surprise announcement that Darren Aronofsky is dropping out of directing The Wolverine. Although Twentieth Century Fox released a statement yesterday saying the studio planned to “regroup and move forward aggressively” in the wake of Aronofsky’s departure from the Hugh Jackman superhero sequel, a source close to the project tells EW that there is no short list yet of filmmakers who might be tapped to take the reins. Factor in the tragic series of events currently unfolding in Japan — where much of the movie was to be shot — and the studio is “in no rush” to hire someone to immediately kickstart the movie. “I think we’re going to let it air out a bit before we approach another director,” says the source. “The one good thing, after losing Darren and what’s going on in Japan, is that we have a great script and the star attached and ready to go.” In fact, given that so many key elements are already in place, the source says it’s still possible that a new director could ramp up production on The Wolverine as early as this summer.
'The Wolverine': no short list of directors yet to replace Darren Aronofsky, says source -- EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Gotham recap: 'Selina Kyle'
- 'Big Bang Theory' recap: 7 favorite laugh lines
- 'Castle' season premiere: Your take on 'Driven'?
- 'Castle' boss tips us off to 5 things to look for this season
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more recaps
- 'SNL': Bill Hader on chat with Lorne Michaels about Pete Davidson ('By the way, do you want to host?')
- '24: Live Another Day' Blu-ray/DVD shows us Tony Almeida in 'Solitary': First Look
- 'Family Guy' does the Bartman--and maybe 'South Park' still wins
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl
- 'Castle' season 7 premiere recap: Where in the world is Richard Castle?
- Tony Almeida wants out of solitary in new '24' Blu-ray feature
- 'Mythbusters': Discovery responds to fan outrage over dumping Kari Byron
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Raining on prom night