Wolverine might be cooling his heels — and his adamantium claws — for a bit following the surprise announcement that Darren Aronofsky is dropping out of directing The Wolverine. Although Twentieth Century Fox released a statement yesterday saying the studio planned to “regroup and move forward aggressively” in the wake of Aronofsky’s departure from the Hugh Jackman superhero sequel, a source close to the project tells EW that there is no short list yet of filmmakers who might be tapped to take the reins. Factor in the tragic series of events currently unfolding in Japan — where much of the movie was to be shot — and the studio is “in no rush” to hire someone to immediately kickstart the movie. “I think we’re going to let it air out a bit before we approach another director,” says the source. “The one good thing, after losing Darren and what’s going on in Japan, is that we have a great script and the star attached and ready to go.” In fact, given that so many key elements are already in place, the source says it’s still possible that a new director could ramp up production on The Wolverine as early as this summer.
'The Wolverine': no short list of directors yet to replace Darren Aronofsky, says source -- EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Project Runway' finale recap: And the winner is...
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'We're Not Friends'
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Grey's Anatomy'; 'Scandal'; 'Reign'; 'Gracepoint' recaps
- Taylor Swift's '1989' review: Losing herself in 'pop'?
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 17 GIFs that keep on giving
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- Zach Galifianakis gets a little too real with Brad Pitt on 'Between Two Ferns'