The Man of Steel now has an enemy: Warner Bros. announced Sunday that they’ve locked in the Oscar-nominated Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) to play General Zod opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman in the reboot. Director Zack Snyder said in a release from the studio: “Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.” Shannon joins an already Oscar-friendly cast that includes Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent, and Amy Adams as Lois Lane.
'Superman': Michael Shannon set as General Zod
Latest Videos in Movies
- Caleb on 'Big Brother': I'd have taken Derrick to final and 'I would have won'
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' teaser: Bet you didn't see THAT coming
- 'Dating Naked: The Wedding': Naked body painting, naked drum circle, and more we saw
- 'Project Runway' recap: 'The History of the American Girl'
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- 'Maze Runner': How big at the box office?
- 'Star Wars': It's the Millennium Falcon...and the Batmobile?
- Ernie Hudson tells us 'Ghostbusters' stories at key NYC locations
- 'Grey's Anatomy' cast poses as 'Orange Is the New Black' characters
- Insiders predict which new shows will be hits (and flops)
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen on 'shocked, embarrassed, confused' Caleb
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites