The Man of Steel now has an enemy: Warner Bros. announced Sunday that they’ve locked in the Oscar-nominated Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) to play General Zod opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman in the reboot. Director Zack Snyder said in a release from the studio: “Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.” Shannon joins an already Oscar-friendly cast that includes Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent, and Amy Adams as Lois Lane.
'Superman': Michael Shannon set as General Zod
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- Halloween 2014: EW's favorite celebrity costumes
- 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Clive Barker is back from the dead--and his 'Nightbreed' is reborn
- 13 movie creeps: Harmless to horrifying
- 'Today'/'GMA' Halloween: Lara Spencer as Prince George; Hoda and Kathie Lee in Wayne's World