The Man of Steel now has an enemy: Warner Bros. announced Sunday that they’ve locked in the Oscar-nominated Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road) to play General Zod opposite Henry Cavill’s Superman in the reboot. Director Zack Snyder said in a release from the studio: “Zod is not only one of Superman’s most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman others don’t. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role.” Shannon joins an already Oscar-friendly cast that includes Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent, and Amy Adams as Lois Lane.
'Superman': Michael Shannon set as General Zod
Latest Videos in Movies
- 20 best (and 10 worst) movie theme songs
- 'Doctor Who' and the joys of sadness
- 'Doctor Who' recap: 'Into the Dalek'
- 'Outlander' recap: 'The Gathering'
- 'Walking Dead': 6 stars on how they'd like their characters to die
- Norman Reedus' personal 'Walking Dead' photo album
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' teaser 3: Most twisted yet
- 'Revenge,' 'Criminal Minds,' 'Vampire Diaries,' more fresh TV spoilers