Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Newcomer Willow Shields lands pivotal role of Prim in 'The Hunger Games'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Orphan Black': Tatiana Maslany 'high octane' promise
- Gwen Stefani + 'The Voice'? Sound good to you?
- Clones! Doppelgangers! Twins! 23 movie/TV multiples
- 'Lost' series finale: Carlton Cuse looks back
- Natalie Dormer talks Margaery (and a little Cressida)
- George R.R. Martin: Wanna see a full-sized dragon?
- Record Store Day: Droolworthy discs
- 'Office' series finale: Handled with Carell
- 'Game of Thrones' Natalie Dormer teases what's next for Margaery
- George R.R. Martin reveals what a full-sized dragon looks like
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes
- 'Lost' exec producer Carlton Cuse looks back at plotting the finale -- and picks TV's best goodbye
- Lindsay Lohan says 'sex list' is real, but there's an unfortunate reason…