Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Newcomer Willow Shields lands pivotal role of Prim in 'The Hunger Games'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Ghostbusters' director shows us who he's gonna call
- 'Parenthood': 10 best episodes
- Shonda Rhimes talks 'Grey's Anatomy': 'we need an infusion of men'
- 'Arrow' costar Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'lucky, excited, grateful, thrilled'
- GoDaddy pulls Super Bowl ad animal rights activists called 'cruel and irresponsible'
- 'Justified'; 'Agent Carter'; 'Parks and Recreation'; more TV recaps
- 'The Flash,' 'Supernatural'; 'Pretty Little Liars'; 'Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce'; more TV recaps
- 'The Flash' boss answers burning Q's: 'We think it makes sense, hopefully you all will too'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' boss teases new doctors and new relationships
- 'Arrow' star Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'It's messy'
- 'Walking Dead' actor joins 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
- Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy lead Paul Feig's 'Ghostbusters' reboot
- GoDaddy pulls Super Bowl ad after animal rights activists call it 'cruel'