Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Newcomer Willow Shields lands pivotal role of Prim in 'The Hunger Games'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Horrible Bosses 2' review: Working too hard for too little payoff
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': New photos introduce us to Christian's mom, dad, and sister
- Assassin's Creed: Unity' fans get an apology from gamemaker for glitches
- Thanksgiving family movie nights: Our most awkward choices...and yours?
- Jennifer Aniston plays 'Horrible' prank on BBC DJ
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: Alfonso Ribeiro claims the mirrorball trophy
- 'Arrow' preview: Laurel dresses the part of Black Canary, but 'a mask does not a hero make'
- Netflix additions for December include 'Wolf of Wall Street,' 'American Horror Story: Coven'
- And the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 19 winner is...
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season finale recap: A nail-biter till the very end
- Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow try to out-curse each other on 'Kimmel'
- 'Arrow': Despite Black Canary costume, Laurel is far from a hero
- 'The Voice' recap: Meet the Top 8