Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Newcomer Willow Shields lands pivotal role of Prim in 'The Hunger Games'
Latest Videos in Movies
- Emmys 2014: Who will win...and who should
- 'If I Stay' aims to evict 'Turtles' from top spot at box office
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 25 greatest TV spies ever
- Jonathan Lipnicki, a.k.a. the 'Jerry Maguire' kid, has some fun in 'You Used To Be Cute'
- Binge watcher rises to EW's 24-hour Emmy challenge, adds live Twitter commentary
- Nicki Minaj vs. Taylor Swift video showdown: Pick your winner
- 'Spider-Woman #1' comic book cover art backlash: Heroine cheek?
- 'Spider-Woman #1' has a special variant cover that is causing some controversy for some reason
- 'Dating Naked' cast member sues after VH1 showed her naked
- Zen and the art of casting Bill Murray in your movie
- 'Simpsons' writers explain how to survive FXX's 552-episode marathon
- Emmys 2014: Who Will Win...and Who Should