Today, Lionsgate and The Hunger Games team announced that newcomer Willow Shields will star as Primrose Everdeen in the movie adaptation. The New Mexican native will play Katniss’ beloved younger sister, for whom Katniss sacrifices herself. (It is sweet Prim who’s initially called to represent their District 12 in the annual televised fight-to-the-death.) “It’s so exciting to find an amazing young actress like the one we just met,” director Gary Ross said in a statement about the casting. “Prim is an emotionally demanding role and in many ways she is the cornerstone of the story. Willow Shields will make an amazing Prim and we’re very lucky to have her.” Lionsgate will release The Hunger Games on March 23, 2012.
Newcomer Willow Shields lands pivotal role of Prim in 'The Hunger Games'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL' preview: What to expect from Cameron Diaz, Bruno Mars, and Mark Ronson?
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Scandal' cues up a Stevie Wonder song, more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'The Missing'; 'Amazing Race'; 'Constantine'; more TV recaps
- 'Hell on Wheels' star Anson Mount on Jon Hamm advice, 'Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Natalie Dormer advocates for more male nudity on 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Mockingjay -- Part 1': The 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- Cher cancels rest of 'Dressed to Kill' tour dates due to infection
- Tina Fey's NBC comedy moving to Netflix