Paula Malcomson has officially been cast as the mother of Katniss and Prim Everdeen in The Hunger Games, according to a press release from Lionsgate. The widowed and down-trodden Mrs. Everdeen — a victim of the totalitarian government of Games‘ dystopian future — required “an actress with some gravitas,” said producer Nina Jacobson, “someone who could really transport herself, and audiences, to a place as tough as District 12.” Malcomson has an impressive TV resume, including starring roles in Caprica and Deadwood and a recurring part on Sons of Anarchy, but Games marks her first major movie role. Malcomson joins a cast that already includes Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne.
'The Hunger Games': Paula Malcomson cast as Katniss Everdeen's mother
Latest Videos in Movies
- Joe Cocker, veteran rock singer, dies at 70
- JibJab mocks 2014 in new year-in-review clip
- Mike Colter in as Luke Cage for Marvel's Netflix series 'Jessica Jones'
- 25 most memorable pop culture moments of 2014
- Bruce Campbell talks 'Evil Dead' TV, and Ash as a 'crabby middle-aged man...the ultimate anti-hero'
- 'Mishaps in Space': A supercut of intergalactic uh-ohs at the movies
- Michael C. Hall sings 'Angry Inch' from 'Hedwig' at NYC club
- George Clooney, a.k.a., Lord Hollywood, visits 'Downton Abbey'; watch Xmas short