Peter Jackson revealed on Facebook this afternoon that his two-part adaptation of The Hobbit will feature one more familiar face: Ian Holm, who played the role of Bilbo Baggins in Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. Holm will be playing the older version of Bilbo in the director’s upcoming film; Sherlock star Martin Freeman plays Young Bilbo. Though Holms’ participation in The Hobbit has long been assumed, it wasn’t confirmed until today. He joins a cast that already includes fellow franchise vets Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, and Cate Blanchett, as well as a host of newcomers.
'The Hobbit': Ian Holm is officially in as old Bilbo
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- 'Bachelorette' recap: 'The Men Tell All'
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' tone?
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- Mark Ruffalo talks potential for a 'Hulk' movie
- 'Simpsons': Dates for character death, 'Futurama'
- 'Walking Dead': Why Norman Reedus feared for Daryl
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': 8 new photos
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 624
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 493
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 419
- 'Lost cause' 313
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 283
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- J.K. Rowling plans to write more about Cormoran Strike than Harry Potter
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' to be less campy than 'Coven,' FX chief says
- 'Simpsons' character will die in season 26 premiere; 'Futurama' crossover to air in November