Peter Jackson revealed on Facebook this afternoon that his two-part adaptation of The Hobbit will feature one more familiar face: Ian Holm, who played the role of Bilbo Baggins in Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. Holm will be playing the older version of Bilbo in the director’s upcoming film; Sherlock star Martin Freeman plays Young Bilbo. Though Holms’ participation in The Hobbit has long been assumed, it wasn’t confirmed until today. He joins a cast that already includes fellow franchise vets Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, and Cate Blanchett, as well as a host of newcomers.
'The Hobbit': Ian Holm is officially in as old Bilbo
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- Jack Bruce, bassist for Cream, dies at 71
- 'Constantine' series premiere; 'Amazing Race'; more TV recaps
- Regina Spektor's 'Love Me or Leave Me' from 'Boardwalk Empire': Hear it
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'