Peter Jackson revealed on Facebook this afternoon that his two-part adaptation of The Hobbit will feature one more familiar face: Ian Holm, who played the role of Bilbo Baggins in Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. Holm will be playing the older version of Bilbo in the director’s upcoming film; Sherlock star Martin Freeman plays Young Bilbo. Though Holms’ participation in The Hobbit has long been assumed, it wasn’t confirmed until today. He joins a cast that already includes fellow franchise vets Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Elijah Wood, and Cate Blanchett, as well as a host of newcomers.
'The Hobbit': Ian Holm is officially in as old Bilbo
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The right one won
- Lily Rabe talks return to 'American Horror Story': 'One of the great, great joys I have'
- 'Survivor' season 30 scoop: Jeff Probst shares new details on 'Worlds Apart'
- 'Ascension' finale: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?
- 'The Interview' gets the hook; would a 'prestige' film have been pulled just the same?
- 'The 100'; 'American Horror Story: Freak Show'; 'Top Chef'; more TV recaps
- Jenny Slate sings Fleetwood Mac as Marcel the Shell for 'Conan'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': 10 things Andy Serkis can say now
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season
- Aaron Sorkin, Steve Carell, and more react to Sony canceling 'The Interview'
- Jenny Slate sings Fleetwood Mac's 'Landslide' as Marcel the Shell
- 'Ascension' finale review: Lost in space, or 'Lost' in space?