Donald Sutherland has officially been cast in the film adaptation of The Hunger Games as President Snow, the ruler of Panem. Lionsgate announced Sutherland’s casting in a press release this morning. Although Snow mostly lurks around the outskirts of the first volume of Games, he is unquestionably the series’ main puppet master (and hey, Sutherland starred in a film called The Puppet Masters!) A quietly malevolent figure who is shrouded in secrecy, Snow was described in the books as a thin and unassumingly small man — which aren’t quite the words that come to mind when you consider the 6’4” Sutherland. Still, the actor has certainly earned his epic-enigmatic bona fides — remember his Mister X in JFK? — and it should be interesting to see him play off Jennifer Lawrence’s spunk Katniss Everdeen. The Hunger Games is currently in production, and is currently slated for a March 23, 2012 release in theaters.
'The Hunger Games': Donald Sutherland cast as President Snow
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead': How far will it have to go to keep shocking us?
- 'Gotham' costume designer on what clothes tell us about each character
- 'Big Bang Theory'; 'Dancing With the Stars'; 'The Voice'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; more TV recaps
- 'The Blacklist'; 'Originals'; 'Gotham'; 'Jane the Virgin'; more TV recaps
- 'Fraggle Rock' actor Gerard Parkes dies at 90
- 'SNL' adds Leslie Jones as cast member
- 'Star Wars' First Look: Alex Ross' cover for Marvel comic book
- 'Vampire Diaries' sneak peek: Elena and Stefan are southbound?
- Disney announces 2016 release for animated feature 'Moana'
- Are we all numb to the atrocities of 'Walking Dead'?
- 'Gotham' costume secrets: Revealing details you may have missed
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: A pecs-tacular shirtless week
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack to be released on cassette tapes