Donald Sutherland has officially been cast in the film adaptation of The Hunger Games as President Snow, the ruler of Panem. Lionsgate announced Sutherland’s casting in a press release this morning. Although Snow mostly lurks around the outskirts of the first volume of Games, he is unquestionably the series’ main puppet master (and hey, Sutherland starred in a film called The Puppet Masters!) A quietly malevolent figure who is shrouded in secrecy, Snow was described in the books as a thin and unassumingly small man — which aren’t quite the words that come to mind when you consider the 6’4” Sutherland. Still, the actor has certainly earned his epic-enigmatic bona fides — remember his Mister X in JFK? — and it should be interesting to see him play off Jennifer Lawrence’s spunk Katniss Everdeen. The Hunger Games is currently in production, and is currently slated for a March 23, 2012 release in theaters.
'The Hunger Games': Donald Sutherland cast as President Snow
- Beyonce surprise: 'Visual Album' now on iTunes
- 'Grey's Anatomy' recap: 'Get Up, Stand Up'
- 'Scandal' recap: 'A Door Marked Exit'
- Tina + Amy: Darth Vader has two mommies?
- 'Vampire Diaries' recap: 'Fifty Shades of Grayson'
- Golden Globes: 16 snubs that bugged YOU
- Golden Globes TV noms: Nice surprises, nasty snubs
- 'Descendants': Disney villains as parents of teens?