Though audiences still have to wait until next July 3 for The Amazing Spider-Man to hit theaters, Sony is clearly very bullish on its reboot of the web-slinging franchise — so much so that they’ve already greenlit a sequel and staked out a release date of May 2, 2014 for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. “It speaks volumes about our confidence in what we are seeing on the new film and our desire to move quickly on the next installment,” says a studio source. No further information is available on the sequel at this point, though it seems safe to assume that the new Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield, will be back wearing the suit again. But hey, it’s never too early for fanboys to start lobbying for their favorite villains, so have at it: Who would you like to see Spider-Man square off against in the franchise’s next chapter?
Sony schedules 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' for May 2014
Latest Videos in Movies
- Batman's best stories: 9 that shine
- 'Gotham': Robin Lord Taylor talks Oswald Cobblepot
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Toronto Film Festival lineup announced
- 'Lost' alum to visit 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- 'Wish I Was Here': Zach Braff tries to be a better man
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 626
- 'Lost cause' 390
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 504
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Mark Ruffalo on the foe Hulk needs for a stand-alone movie