Nine years after Bruce Almighty, Universal is plotting a second coming. (Or technically a third.) EW has confirmed a Variety report that the studio has plans to reunite Jim Carrey with the Yes Man writers (Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel) for a new chapter in the life of the newscaster who is handed God’s powers and responsibilities after complaining about the big man’s negligence. The 2003 film, which co-starred Morgan Freeman as God, Jennifer Aniston as Bruce’s girlfriend, and Steve Carell as his hated rival, grossed more than $484 million worldwide, making it Carrey’s biggest hit. This wouldn’t be the first Bruce sequel; Evan Almighty attempted to hand the reins over to Carell’s character, but that expensive, effects-heavy 2007 film underperformed and barely grossed $100 million.
And lo, Universal said to 'Bruce': Maketh a sequel
Latest Videos in Movies
- 31 scariest movies of all time: Chris Nashawaty's picks
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- 'How to Get Away With Murder': Talk about 'Freakin' Whack-a-Mole' surprises
- 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; more TV recaps
- 'Modern Family' Halloween: Welcome to AwesomeLand
- 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'Graceland'; more TV recaps
- Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ewan McGregor in 'The Real Thing': EW stage review
- 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies': First Look at the Bennet sisters
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- This week's cover: First look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Game of Thrones' cast signs on for 7th season, for a reportedly 'huge' raise