Nine years after Bruce Almighty, Universal is plotting a second coming. (Or technically a third.) EW has confirmed a Variety report that the studio has plans to reunite Jim Carrey with the Yes Man writers (Jarrad Paul and Andrew Mogel) for a new chapter in the life of the newscaster who is handed God’s powers and responsibilities after complaining about the big man’s negligence. The 2003 film, which co-starred Morgan Freeman as God, Jennifer Aniston as Bruce’s girlfriend, and Steve Carell as his hated rival, grossed more than $484 million worldwide, making it Carrey’s biggest hit. This wouldn’t be the first Bruce sequel; Evan Almighty attempted to hand the reins over to Carell’s character, but that expensive, effects-heavy 2007 film underperformed and barely grossed $100 million.
And lo, Universal said to 'Bruce': Maketh a sequel
Latest Videos in Movies
- 13 reality TV hits: Best season was...
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in 'By the Sea': 3 First Look photos
- Ryan Murphy shares 'AHS: Freak Show' details: 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'New Girl' boss: Get ready for 'the most sex where you can't actually see anything on TV'
- 'Big Bang Theory' cast featurette: Kaley Cuoco's re-'do and other hair-raising tales
- 'Breaking Bad': 'Ozymandias' writer and director look back at milestone episode
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' tapestry revealed
- 'Mockingjay' trailer: 'It's the things we love most that destroy us'
- War is hell in the new 'Mockingjay' trailer
- Ryan Murphy on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- First Look: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt swept away in romantic drama 'By the Sea'
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- Miss America 2015: 'Jane Austin,' terrifying frogs, and more of what you missed