The Artist celebrates the oldest of old Hollywood, an era when moviemaking magic was still very much in its infancy. Re-creating that era — both the real-world city streets and the era’s movie sets — was up to the film’s Oscar-nominated production designer Laurence Bennett, who came up with an unorthodox strategy for capturing the allure of the period in a black-and-white film. Click here for our annotated conversation with Bennett about one of the iconic movie sets of the era, and click here for our annotated conversation on the grand exterior of the La Reina Theater. Some of the details may surprise you!
Oscar 2012 Behind the Scenes: Secrets of the sets of 'The Artist'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- Jon Stewart on 'Rosewater': 'a love letter to expression'
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi gunning for Axons and Cybermen?
- Dick Smith: Remembering a movie makeup effects legend
- 'The Killing': Binging? Read our recaps of episodes 1-4
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 596
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 460
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 376
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Other DC Comics characters we want on 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- New 'Interstellar' trailer shows off film's amazing visuals