The Artist celebrates the oldest of old Hollywood, an era when moviemaking magic was still very much in its infancy. Re-creating that era — both the real-world city streets and the era’s movie sets — was up to the film’s Oscar-nominated production designer Laurence Bennett, who came up with an unorthodox strategy for capturing the allure of the period in a black-and-white film. Click here for our annotated conversation with Bennett about one of the iconic movie sets of the era, and click here for our annotated conversation on the grand exterior of the La Reina Theater. Some of the details may surprise you!
Oscar 2012 Behind the Scenes: Secrets of the sets of 'The Artist'
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Scandal': 10 most shocking twists
- 'Scandal' finale drinking game? It's handled!
- 'Transcendence' at box office?
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 'Girls' season 4 photos: Hmmm... look who's together
- 'Survivor' exit: 'I can't explain anything Tony does'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' First Look: It's 'the Cellist'!
- 'Parks and Rec': Mum's (or is that mom?) the word!