If the shot above looks exceptionally (or Inception-ally) familiar, it might be because it’s from the first film directed by Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan’s longtime cinematographer. In Transcendence, which hits theaters April 18, Depp plays a computer scientist (below) studying “the singularity,” the point at which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence. “It’s a very timely subject as we find we have to update the software on our cell phones before we can even make a call,” says Pfister. Depp’s character literally gets uploaded into the mainframe, becoming a ghost in the machine (above, with costars Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, and Rebecca Hall) after he’s attacked by anti-technology activists. It’s an out-there premise, even if the film’s star is looking uncharacteristically tame. “I don’t think we’ve seen him this way in a long time,” says Pfister, laughing. “Just a pair of glasses on and a pretty normal haircut.”
'Transcendence': First Look at Johnny Depp's mind-melding techno-thriller
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Brick Mansions': EW movie review
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2': Pleased to meet...Electro?
- Bryan Singer statement on abuse claims
- 'Mentalist' being shopped to networks outside CBS
- 'Begin Again': Keira Knightley song for Adam Levine
- 'Parks and Rec': 9 hints about season finale
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday': Master of disguise?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 675
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 523
- The Spy Who Shacked Me 457
- Slaves to Love 507
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 386
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!