If the shot above looks exceptionally (or Inception-ally) familiar, it might be because it’s from the first film directed by Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan’s longtime cinematographer. In Transcendence, which hits theaters April 18, Depp plays a computer scientist (below) studying “the singularity,” the point at which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence. “It’s a very timely subject as we find we have to update the software on our cell phones before we can even make a call,” says Pfister. Depp’s character literally gets uploaded into the mainframe, becoming a ghost in the machine (above, with costars Morgan Freeman, Cillian Murphy, and Rebecca Hall) after he’s attacked by anti-technology activists. It’s an out-there premise, even if the film’s star is looking uncharacteristically tame. “I don’t think we’ve seen him this way in a long time,” says Pfister, laughing. “Just a pair of glasses on and a pretty normal haircut.”
'Transcendence': First Look at Johnny Depp's mind-melding techno-thriller
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Honey Boo Boo' canceled by TLC 'effective immediately'
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- 'Project Runway' winner: 'It's just sinking in now'
- Cheerleading taken seriously as a movie topic? Bring it on
- Peter Jackson lets us peek at his prep work for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey’s Anatomy': Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- 'Forever' sneak peek: Henry and Jo mix classy and sassy
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Grey's'; 'Scandal'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; more TV recaps
- Aaron Paul takes on Toys 'R' Us after 'Breaking Bad' toys are pulled
- TLC cancels 'Honey Boo Boo'
- Peter Jackson walks us through his battle plans for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Sara Ramirez dissects shocking Calzona twist
- The 17 most important GIFs from the 'Avengers 2' trailer