I’m not usually a betting man, but if I was, I’d have wagered a lot of money on the proposition that Seth MacFarlane would not be hosting the Academy Awards in 2014. Whatever you thought of his performance as host — I’m one of the rare pop-culture observers who didn’t hate him, and even kind of liked him — the way that the media pounced on his “Look, Ma, no taste!” preening had a definitive, hanging-judge finality about it. In the days following the 2013 Oscar ceremony, the outpouring of indignation from media and entertainment pundits over MacFarlane’s deliberately shameless quips about Rihanna and Jews in Hollywood and Abe Lincoln’s assassination, not to mention the song-and-dance sequence (“We Saw Your Boobs!”) that instantly became the most reviled Oscar production number since Rob Lowe cavorted with Snow White…well, let’s just say that the media, as it so often does, effectively spoke with one voice, and what that voice said is: “You, Seth MacFarlane, have crossed a line that you shouldn’t have crossed. Your hosting gig was a scandalous embarrassment, or at the very least a bombastic and offensive mistake. We know that you stepped over the line, because we’re the people who draw the line. If you want to direct another potty-mouth comedy like Ted, be our guest, but as far as the Academy Awards go, consider yourself excommunicated.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: Academy Awards night (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- Jon Stewart on 'Rosewater': 'a love letter to expression'
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi gunning for Axons and Cybermen?
- Dick Smith: Remembering a movie makeup effects legend
- 'The Killing': Binging? Read our recaps of episodes 1-4
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 596
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 460
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 376
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Other DC Comics characters we want on 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- New 'Interstellar' trailer shows off film's amazing visuals