I’m a sucker for biopics and always have been, but I understand why they’re often thought of as a second-rate form. In a sense, each one is trying to tell two stories at once: the chronicle of its subject’s artistic or political or whatever other worldly achievement (the thing that made us hungry to see a biopic about him or her in the first place), and, at the same time, the private, tumultuous “human drama” of it all. Given that these two dimensions can’t really be separated, and that you have to cram both of them into two hours, it’s amazing, when you think about it, that the best biopics, from Lenny (1974) to Kinsey (2004) to Malcolm X (1992) to Sweet Dreams (1985) to Milk (2008) to Ed Wood (1994) to Ray (2004), are as rich and full and authentic as they are. Nevertheless, I think that the hyper scrutiny of the “reality” era, when the lives of celebrities (including dead ones) are more subject to exposure than ever before, has made us all a little suspect of the tidiness, the compressions, the convenient fictionalizations, the cut corners that are an essential element of almost any biopic. The good ones are told with more explicitness and authenticity than they used to be, but as a basic form, the biopic now seems cornier than ever. We can see through it, even as we’re hooked on it. READ FULL STORY
Tag: André Benjamin (1-1 of 1)
- Nelson Mandela: 5 movie touchstones
- 'Sound of Music': Join EW live blog at 7:45 ET
- 'Sound of Music': 3 dress rehearsal photos
- 'Mandela' biopic: First Look featurette
- Paul Walker: End of the 'F&F' fantasy?
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' coming in 2016
- 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' trailer: Did you notice...?
- 'Justice League': Let's cast it!
- 'The Sound of Music Live!': Take a peek at dress rehearsal -- PHOTOS
- Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman: 13 thoughts on the bombshell-casting bombshell
- 'The Sound of Music': Carrie Underwood on tonight's live show and hate tweets from Julie Andrews fans
- 'Survivor' recap: Hayden's rustling feathers
- 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water': Jeff Probst on that CRAZY tribal council