I’ll never forget the moment I first sat up and took notice of Philip Seymour Hoffman — the moment that I knew I loved him as an actor and knew, as well, that he was a different kind of great actor from anyone I’d ever seen. It was the moment in Boogie Nights (1997) when Hoffman’s Scotty J., the boom-mike operator who has spent most of the film hanging around the sidelines of the porn set, a sweetly insecure dude in long red hair, his gut poking out of his ’70s tank tops, confesses to Dirk Diggler that he’s got a crush on him. This comes as news to Dirk — and news to the audience as well, since we didn’t know that Scotty was gay, because it’s clearly something that he was hiding from the world. Drunk, and a little less shy because of it, Scotty shows Dirk his new sports car, which he thinks will impress him (it doesn’t), and he then tries to lay a smooch on him, which Dirk, in this paleo-days-of-gay-liberation era, thinks is beyond weird. But that’s the rejection that Scotty’s been living in terror of, and now that it’s happened, he breaks down. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- Joe Cocker, veteran rock singer, dies at 70
- 'Once Upon a Time' casts Sebastian Roche as...
- EW's 2014 Movie Awards: And the winners are...
- EW's 2014 Music Awards go to...
- 25 most-commented episodes of 2014
- 'SNL' deleted scene: Pete Davidson shows signs of his... love(?) for Amy Adams
- Merge Records at 25: Making ends meet, still playing it by ear
- 25 most memorable pop culture moments of 2014