• Kevin Hart and Ice Cube will reprise their roles in the just-announced sequel to Ride Along. Tim Story will also return to direct the film for Universal with Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi penning the script. The $25 million buddy comedy scored an A CinemaScore, broke January box office records, stayed in the top spot for three weekends in a row, and has already passed the coveted $100 million mark (its domestic total is currently resting at $116 million). They could start shooting the sequel as early as this summer. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (91-100 of 976)
• Brittany Snow is set to reprise her role as Chloe in Pitch Perfect 2, which is already scheduled for a May 15, 2015, release. For those keeping tabs, we know that Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson plan to return as well, and that Elizabeth Banks will direct. The plot is being kept under wraps, but fans can rest easy knowing that Pitch Perfect scribe Kay Cannon is writing the sequel. [THR] READ FULL STORY
• Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) will take on a supporting role in the indie drama Freeheld, starring Ellen Page (Juno) and Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven) as domestic partners battling New Jersey pension laws. Based on Cynthia Wade’s Oscar-winning documentary short, Moore will star as Laurel Hester, a detective who becomes terminally ill. Page would play her partner Stacie Andree, and Galifianakis is set to portray equality activist Steven Goldstein. Philadelphia scribe Ron Nyswaner wrote the script, and Peter Sollett (Raising Victor Vargas) will direct. [THR] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Olivia Wilde boards thriller 'Meadowland'; Plus, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen re-team, more
• Olivia Wilde (Drinking Buddies) is set to star in and produce the psychological thriller Meadowland. Reed Morano, the cinematographer on Kill Your Darlings and The Skeleton Twins, will make her directorial debut on the film about a woman who developed a relationship with a neglected boy after her own son disappears. Production will begin this summer, after Wilde gives birth. [Deadline]
• Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables) is in talks to star alongside Robert De Niro in The Intern for director Nancy Meyers (It’s Complicated). Hathaway would play a high-powered executive who gets assigned a senior intern (De Niro). Reese Witherspoon was previously attached to the role when Warner Bros. signed on, but dropped out due to reported scheduling conflicts. After a quiet 2013 (release-wise), Hathaway can be seen next in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar (Nov. 7). She also just enjoyed the premiere of Song One (release date TBD) at Sundance. [THR]
Casting Net: Tom Hardy in talks to join Johnny Depp in 'Black Mass'; Plus, Will Smith, Saoirse Ronan, more
• Tom Hardy (Inception) is in early talks to join Johnny Depp (who is now officially signed on again) in the Whitey Bulger pic Black Mass. Hardy would play FBI Agent John Connolly, a childhood friend of Bulger’s who gets in trouble when he reveals inside information to Bulger about an impending indictment. Scott Cooper (Out of the Furnace, Crazy Heart) recently agreed to direct the film. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Russell Brand in talks for school shooting satire; Plus, Jay Baruchel boards Stephen King film, more
• Russell Brand, Sasha Pieterse (Pretty Little Liars), and Austin Abrams (The InBetweeners) are reportedly in talks to star in Vernon God Little for director Werner Herzog (The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans). Based on DBC Pierre’s Booker Prize-winning novel, the story is a dark, satirical portrait of a Texas town in the aftermath of a school shooting told from the point of view of its 15-year-old protagonist. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
• Tom Hiddleston (Thor: The Dark World) is attached to star in High-Rise, an adaptation of J.G. Ballard‘s 1975 novel about a luxury residential unit. Hiddleston would play Robert Laing, a doctor who loves the idea of the tower, becomes obsessed with the architect, and gets embroiled in the complex mess surrounding the building. In the book, the building isolates the residents from the outside world and societal niceties soon devolve as residents segregate themselves by class and eventually regress to a primitive hunter/gatherer culture. Ben Wheatley (Doctor Who) is set to direct. [Variety]
Latest Videos in Movies
- Robert Downey Jr. on 'Iron Man': 'Why give up the belt?'
- 'Covert Affairs': Chris Gorham on latest for Auggie
- Summer sleepers: 14 unexpected movie hits
- 'Pretty Little Liars' recap: 'The Silence of E. Lamb'
- Prince George: We know THAT look...
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelorette' blog: 'Men Tell All'
- Anthony Hopkins joins HBO's 'Westworld'
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Robert Downey Jr. on 'Iron Man 4': 'Why give up the belt?'
- 'Arrow' producer reveals details of season 3's Big Bad and 'Flash' crossover episode
- Why 'Rocky IV' is the best fight -- Ever!
- 'The Walking Dead': Norman Reedus thought Daryl Dixon was about to be killed off last season