• Russell Brand, Sasha Pieterse (Pretty Little Liars), and Austin Abrams (The InBetweeners) are reportedly in talks to star in Vernon God Little for director Werner Herzog (The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call – New Orleans). Based on DBC Pierre’s Booker Prize-winning novel, the story is a dark, satirical portrait of a Texas town in the aftermath of a school shooting told from the point of view of its 15-year-old protagonist. [The Wrap] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (21-30 of 899)
• Tom Hiddleston (Thor: The Dark World) is attached to star in High-Rise, an adaptation of J.G. Ballard‘s 1975 novel about a luxury residential unit. Hiddleston would play Robert Laing, a doctor who loves the idea of the tower, becomes obsessed with the architect, and gets embroiled in the complex mess surrounding the building. In the book, the building isolates the residents from the outside world and societal niceties soon devolve as residents segregate themselves by class and eventually regress to a primitive hunter/gatherer culture. Ben Wheatley (Doctor Who) is set to direct. [Variety]
Casting Net: Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill set to re-team; Plus, Matthew McConaughey boards Gus Van Sant pic, more
• Wolf of Wall Street co-stars and Oscar nominees Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill are reportedly set to re-team for an Atlanta Olympics bombing drama based on the 1997 Vanity Fair article “The Ballad of Richard Jewell.” Fox acquired the rights to the article and planned to develop it for Hill, who would play Jewell, the janitor who reported the suspicious bag and was subsequently accused of being a potential suspect in the bombing. DiCaprio would play the attorney at his side. [Deadline]
• Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardner) have signed on to star in The Lobster, set in a dystopian future where finding a partner is “a matter of life and death.” Dogtooth director Yorgos Lanthimos is making his English-language debut on the project, which also stars Ben Whishaw (Cloud Atlas) and Lea Seydoux (Blue Is the Warmest Color). [THR]
Casting Net: Jake Gyllenhaal to play a Prohibition Era drifter; Plus, Liam Neeson re-teams with Martin Scorsese, more
• Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams will play Prohibition Era lovers (or, potential mates) in Ezekiel Moss. Philip Seymour Hoffman has been attached to direct the pic for some time off of Keith Bunin’s Black List script. The story revolves around Iris (Adams) a widower who runs a boarding house to support her son Joel in a small, religious town. She falls for a drifter, Gyllenhaal’s Ezekiel Moss, who can “channel and physically inhabit the spirits of the dead.” [THR]
Casting Net: Shia LaBeouf to 'Rock the Kasbah' with Bill Murray; Plus, Bill Hader in talks for 'Trainwreck', more
• Shia LaBeouf is not retiring, it seems. The Nymphomaniac star, thrust into the spotlight recently by an ever-escalating plagiarism controversy, has signed on to Barry Levinson’s Rock the Kasbah alongside a host of high-profile names including Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Zooey Deschanel, Danny McBride, and Kate Hudson. The film follows a past-his-prime rock manager who takes his sole client on a USO tour in Afghanistan. While in Kabul, the manager discovers a young talent and enters her into the Afghan Star contest — Afghanistan’s version of American Idol. [The Wrap]
Casting Net: Meg Ryan to direct, star in 'Human Comedy' adaptation; Plus, Forest Whitaker in 'Taken 3,' more
• Meg Ryan will make her directorial debut with Ithaca, an adaptation of William Saroyan‘s novel The Human Comedy, which frequent co-star Tom Hanks will executive-produce. The story follows the teenage Homer Macauley, left at home in Ithaca, Calif., to care for his mother, sister, and little brother, Ulysses, while his older brother fights in World War II. Ryan will also star in the film opposite Melanie Griffith, Sam Shepard, and Jack Quaid (Ryan’s 21-year-old son, who played Marvel in The Hunger Games). Clarence Brown directed a version of the story in a 1943 film starring Mickey Rooney. [THR] READ FULL STORY
EW has confirmed that Billy Bob Thornton is in talks to join Warner Bros.’ upcoming film adaption of the hit HBO series, Entourage.
The film reunites Entourage stars Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Jerry Ferrera, Kevin Dillon, and Jeremy Piven, and continues to follow the Hollywood adventures of Vinnie Chase (Grenier) and his crew.
Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch joins military thriller; Plus, Kristen Stewart boards 'Still Alice,' more
• Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) is attached to star in Blood Mountain, a thriller from director Sergei Bodrov about a military contractor whose team is ambushed, leaving him solely responsible for bringing a terrorist to safe grounds. The Morocco shoot is supposed to begin in April. Cumberbatch’s Alan Turning biopic The Imitation Game is currently in post production, and he’s also attached to star in the adaptation of The Lost City of Z. [Variety]
Latest Videos in Movies
- Reality TV's most appalling shows (so far)
- Coldplay brings new songs to SXSW
- 'Big Bang Theory' renewed for three more years
- 'L&O: SVU': Pablo Schreiber returning
- 'Tomorrow People': Looking for them on Mondays?
- Matthew McConaughey: How he got 'Alright' x 3
- 'Orphan Black'/Criminally Underrated gems: EW cover
- 'Orphan Black' exclusive: Three clones in one photo!
- 'The Flash' first full body costume photo
- Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelor' finale and 'After the Final Rose'
- This Week's Cover: Angelina Jolie is 'Maleficent'! An exclusive in-depth interview
- 'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan
- This Week's Cover: The criminally underrated 'Orphan Black'