• Jake Gyllenhaal (Enemy) is in early talks to star in Demolition, a Black List screenplay that Jean-Marc Vallée (Dallas Buyers Club) plans to direct. Penned by Bryan Sipe, the story follows an investment banker dealing with the sudden death of his wife. But, another woman steps in when things seem most desperate. Gyllenhaal has a number of projects in post-production, including David O. Russell’s Nailed, Dan Gilroy’s L.A. noir Nightcrawler and Everest (Sept. 18, 2015). [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Casting (21-30 of 976)
Casting Net: Denzel Washington in talks for 'Magnificent Seven' remake; Plus Judi Dench, Zac Efron, more
• Denzel Washington, about to end a run on Broadway in A Raisin in the Sun, is in talks to star in a remake of the 1960 western The Magnificent Seven for MGM. Washington would once again work with Antoine Fuqua, who directed his Oscar-winning performance in Training Day and the upcoming film The Equalizer. Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt had previously been eyed for the project with drafts of the script written by Nic Pizzolatto (True Detective) and most recently John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side). [The Hollywood Reporter] READ FULL STORY
Three days after joining the cast of the highly anticipated Star Wars sequel, Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong’o has found her next project. The Yale grad will produce and star in an adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s novel Americanah, the winner of the 2013 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell could re-team for 'Daddy's Home'; Plus, Rose Leslie, more
• After the unlikely duo paired up for 2010′s The Other Guys, Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell are in talks to co-star in Daddy’s Home, which could begin production as early as this fall. The film pits an eager stepfather (Ferrell) against a wild biological father (Wahlberg), as both compete for the love of the children in question. Vince Vaughn was previously circling the pic when Etan Cohen was attached to direct. We’re the Millers scribes Sean Anders and John Morris (who are directing Horrible Bosses 2) are now the likely directors. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Will Smith is reportedly in talks to star in an untitled NFL concussion drama for Sony. The story will be based on Jeanne Marie Laskas‘ 2009 article “Game Brain” that was published in GQ. Peter Landesman (Parkland) is set to write and direct the pic, which is being described as a whistleblower tale similar to The Insider. Smith would play Dr. Bennet Omalu, according to the report. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Josh Brolin to voice Marvel's supervillain Thanos; Plus, Anna Camp for 'Pitch Perfect 2', more
• Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) is reportedly voicing a CGI Thanos in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. He’ll be joining fellow voice actors Bradley Cooper (Rocket Raccoon) and Vin Diesel (Groot) in the James Gunn-directed pic, which also stars Zoe Saldana, Chris Pratt, and Lee Pace. Thanos, a nihilistic purple supervillain, was introduced briefly in the post-credits sequence of The Avengers and is expected to be the main foe in Avengers: The Age of Ultron (May 1, 2015), which will be a more prominent role than his Guardians part. EW’s Darren Franich actually proposed Brolin as an option to voice the part back in 2012 — although folks seemed to prefer Gary Oldman, “anybody from Game of Thrones,” Ian McShane, and Ray Winstone to the W. star. [Latino Review] READ FULL STORY
A German YouTube star might just give the Barden Bellas a run for their money.
Flula Borg — a YouTube DJ/musician/hype man — has been cast in Pitch Perfect 2, EW has confirmed. Deadline, which first reported the news, says he’ll be playing a member of a competing a cappella group.
Fans already know that the sequel to the 2013 hit, directed by Elizabeth Banks, will find the returning performers — including Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, and Skylar Astin — now as college seniors.
Get a taste of Borg below: READ FULL STORY
• Katie Holmes will join Helen Mirren, Daniel Bruhl, and Ryan Reynolds in The Woman in Gold, a drama about a Holocaust survivor who is suing the Swiss government in hopes of reclaiming pieces of art that the Nazis stole from her family. Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany plays a younger version of Mirren in the pic. Simon Curtis (My Week With Marilyn) is on board to direct. Holmes can be seen in theaters next in Phillip Noyce’s adaptation of Lois Lowry’s The Giver (out Aug. 15). [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
• Stephan James (The L.A. Complex) is in talks to star as famed Olympian Jesse Owens in Race. He’d be replacing John Boyega in the role, who had to drop out due to his Star Wars: Episode VII commitments. Stephen Hopkins is directing the biopic, which will follow Owens from his humble beginnings to the 1936 Berlin Olympics where he won four gold medals. Not quite yet a household name, James has a number of higher profile projects coming up, including the football pic When the Game Stands Tall and Ava DuVernay’s civil rights drama Selma. [The Wrap]
• Latin American music star Romeo Santos is the latest addition to the Fast & Furious 7 cast. Franchise star Vin Diesel announced the news on stage Thursday night at Santos’ sold-out Staples Center concert in L.A, but details on his role are unknown. Director James Wan recently resumed production on the pic, which is set for an April 10, 2015, release. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Ant-Man' Comic-Con poster: First Look
- 'Suits': Rick Hoffman talks Louis' dangerous moves
- Comic-Con 2014: Doc Jensen's picks
- 'Arrow' First Look: Colton Haynes as Arsenal
- Comic-Con '14: 8 buzzworthy TV panels
- Comic-Con '14: 10 hot movies in San Diego
- 'Once Upon a Time' casting Prince Hans
- 'Once Upon a Time': 'Storybrooke has frozen over'
- Robert Downey Jr. on 'Iron Man 4': 'Why give up the belt?'
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Every 'The Simpsons' episode is going online
- See Carol, Judith, and Rick of 'The Walking Dead' in new season 5 images
- See Colton Haynes as Arsenal in 'Arrow' season 3