You probably thought that, since the Amazing Spider-Man sequel started filming a couple weeks ago, we were probably done with internet-imploding casting announcements. Well, you were wrong…dead wrong! EW has confirmed the news, originally reported by The Hollywood Reporter, that Chris Cooper has joined the cast of 2 Amazing 2 Spider-Man as Norman Osborn, the father of Peter’s best friend Harry, who is destined to become Spider-verse uber-baddy the Green Goblin. Cooper is stepping into a role that was previously played by Willem Dafoe, who unfortunately had to spend half of 2002’s Spider-Man in a green exoskeleton that made him look like Lord Zedd‘s lame step-brother. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Chris Cooper (1-2 of 2)
Casting Net: Michael Fassbender taking on 'Assassin's Creed.' Plus: Anthony Hopkins, Chris Cooper, James Woods
• Anthony Hopkins has joined the cast of Noah, director Darren Aronofsky‘s feature film of the Biblical epic tale, starring Russell Crowe as the title ark builder. (Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Douglas Booth, and Ray Winstone costar.) “I’m honored to be working with the great Sir Anthony Hopkins,” Aronofsky tweeted this morning, with the hashtag #methuselahlives — likely indicating Hopkins is playing Noah’s extremely long-lived grandfather Methuselah. That, or Aronofsky is just referencing a really old meme. [@DarrenAronofsky]
• Chris Cooper is in talks to star opposite Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the feature film adaptation of Tracy Letts‘ Tony-award winning play August: Osage County, playing Roberts’ uncle and Streep’s brother-in-law. Letts also penned the screenplay, and John Wells (The Company Men) is directing. [Variety]
• The rival “President Taken Hostage” movies White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen have both cast actors better known as bad guys in seemingly heroic roles. James Woods will play the head of the president’s Secret Service detail in White House Down — this is the one with Channing Tatum as a Secret Service agent tasked with saving the president (Jamie Foxx) when a paramilitary group takes the White House. In Olympus Has Fallen, Cole Hauser has signed on to play a fellow Secret Service agent to Gerard Butler‘s lead hero, tasked with saving the president (Aaron Eckhart) when North Korean terrorists takes the White House. Got all that? [Variety/THR]
• Recent Tony winner Nina Arianda has landed the highly coveted role of famed ’60s singer Janis Joplin in Joplin, a biopic covering the final six months of the singer’s life to be directed by Martha Marcy May Marlene helmer Sean Durkin. The production has exclusive rights to 21 of Joplin’s songs, and Arianda, who also recently appeared in Midnight in Paris and Win Win, will sing with her own voice in the role. [Deadline]
• Arrested Development‘s Tony Hale will be, ahem, arrested by Melissa McCarthy‘s Boston cop in the untitled comedy co-starring Sandra Bullock as an F.B.I. agent. Paul Feig (Bridesmaids) is directing. [Variety]
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'SNL' preview: Third time's the charm for Jim Carrey?
- 'Blacklist' cues up Cloud Cult, more of the week's best music on TV
- Regina Spektor's 'Love Me or Leave Me' from 'Boardwalk Empire': Hear it
- Zoe Saldana on first profile in her 'My Hero' series: My mom 'really let us find our own voice'
- Comic-book collecting: What draws you to it?
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season