British cartoonist and artist Ralph Steadman is probably best known for his squiggly lined collaborations with Hunter S. Thompson, whose early works of gonzo journalism in the 1970s Steadman illustrated in magazines and books. Steadman is the focus of Charlie Paul’s new documentary For No Good Reason, which plays next week at the Toronto film festival before a release in U.S. theaters sometime early next year. In this exclusive clip (after the jump), Steadman recalls his very first assignment with Thompson, covering the 1970 Kentucky Derby for a now-defunct magazine called Scanlan’s Monthly. “I think what he saw in this, our connection, was somebody that somehow saw the thing in pictures as he saw it in words,” Steadman recalls. “And that seemed to me to be part of the whole chemistry of it, that our chemistry there made gonzo possible.” And yes, that is the familiar voice of Johnny Depp, a longtime friend of Steadman’s who appears frequently in For No Good Reason, narrating passages from Thompson’s Scanlan’s piece, “The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: gonzo (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Walking Dead' recap: 'Crossed'
- American Music Awards winners are...
- American Music Awards 2014 style: What the stars wore
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Good Wife'; 'The Newsroom'; 'The Comeback'; 'Bob's Burgers'; more TV recaps
- 'Homeland'; 'The Affair'; 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'; more TV recaps
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- 'Walking Dead': Seth Gilliam on where Father Gabriel is going
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Times Change: 'Jurassic World' teases with three homages to Steven Spielberg's original
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- 'Hunger Games': Take the EW Trivia Quiz (Part 1)!