British cartoonist and artist Ralph Steadman is probably best known for his squiggly lined collaborations with Hunter S. Thompson, whose early works of gonzo journalism in the 1970s Steadman illustrated in magazines and books. Steadman is the focus of Charlie Paul’s new documentary For No Good Reason, which plays next week at the Toronto film festival before a release in U.S. theaters sometime early next year. In this exclusive clip (after the jump), Steadman recalls his very first assignment with Thompson, covering the 1970 Kentucky Derby for a now-defunct magazine called Scanlan’s Monthly. “I think what he saw in this, our connection, was somebody that somehow saw the thing in pictures as he saw it in words,” Steadman recalls. “And that seemed to me to be part of the whole chemistry of it, that our chemistry there made gonzo possible.” And yes, that is the familiar voice of Johnny Depp, a longtime friend of Steadman’s who appears frequently in For No Good Reason, narrating passages from Thompson’s Scanlan’s piece, “The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: gonzo (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 13 movie creeps: Harmless to horrifying
- Taylor Swift as an Pegacorn; Katy Perry as a Cheeto; more celeb Halloween costumes
- Reality TV: A genre running out of steam?
- J.K. Rowling digs into Dolores Umbridge in new Pottermore story
- 'Today'/'GMA' Halloween: Lara Spencer as Prince George; Hoda and Kathie Lee in Wayne's World
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps series finale, team shares pics from set
- 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies': First Look at the Bennet sisters
- 'Two and a Half Men' returns: 'Duckie's gettin' lucky'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Get an exclusive first look at 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps its series finale
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role