Jared Leto and Will Smith are among the members of the Suicide Squad. Warner Bros. announced principal cast members for David Ayer’s Suicide Squad, one of their large slate of DC movies. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Jared Leto (1-10 of 18)
Casting Net: Jared Leto flirts with 'Brilliance'; Plus, Mamie Gummer may co-star with mom Meryl Streep, more
• Jared Leto, who won an Oscar for his work in Dallas Buyers Club, is in early talks to star in Brilliance for Legendary Pictures. According to Deadline, Leto met with director Julius Onah on Monday. Based on Marcus Sakey‘s novel, the film posits a world where a small number of the population are “brilliants,” which basically means they have extraordinary abilities. The film, adapted by David Koepp, focuses on a federal agent — also a brilliant — who must track down a fellow brilliant who wants to use his powers to start a war. Will Smith was previously attached to the role, but recently exited the project. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Jared Leto won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his role as a transgender AIDS patient in Dallas Buyers Club. In his first role in nearly six years, Leto dominated the pre-Oscar prizes and was a heavy favorite to win. Leto thanked his mother, who raised him and his older brother alone, and then spoke to the dreamers watching at home in such trouble spots as Ukraine and Venezuela. He closed with reminding the audience of the 36 million people who have lost the battle with AIDS and the millions of people who fight courageously every day to be different and to be themselves.
Jared Leto’s interview at Tuesday night’s Santa Barbara International Film Festival Virtuoso Awards was interrupted by a heckler who yelled that Leto had no right to play the transgender character in Dallas Buyers Club. “You don’t deserve an award!” the heckler said, according to multiple reports from the event. “Trans-misogyny does not deserve an award!”
Leto calmly engaged with the heckler, who witnesses identified as a transgender woman. “Because I’m a man, I don’t deserve to play that part?” Leto asked, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “So you would hold a role against someone who happened to be gay or lesbian — they can’t play a straight part?”
The two went back and forth, with the heckler complaining that straight actors win awards for playing transgender characters. Leto turned the tables, saying, “Then you’ve made sure people that are gay, people that aren’t straight, people like the Rayons of the world would never have the opportunity to turn the tables and explore parts of that art.” READ FULL STORY
If fans didn’t get a chance to see Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto in their Golden Globe winning performances in Dallas Buyers Club in theaters, now they can take the Oscar nominated drama home. The Blu-ray combo pack of the film arrives in stores today and the bonus features include deleted scenes that got cut from the theatrical version, including this exclusive one below featuring McConaughey’s character trying to celebrate living more than the month he was told he had by his doctor, played by Jennifer Garner. READ FULL STORY
Oscars 2014: Jared Leto reacts -- 'Yesterday I was doing jury duty, today I got an Academy Award nomination'
Jared Leto is having an amazing morning — but when he first woke up he thought maybe an Oscar nomination wasn’t going to happen. “I woke up about an hour ago [5:37 am] and thought, ‘Oh I must not have gotten the nomination because no one woke me up yet. I was having a philosophical debate in my head about gratitude versus disappointment so you know I just won the Golden Globe and I’ve won 25 or so awards this season for the film already so there’s a lot to be grateful for. The nomination obviously is a huge one and it’s a great thing to get it.”
But a nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his work in Dallas Buyers Club isn’t the only thing on Leto’s mind this morning. He’s also got jury duty to contend with. (Oscar nominees! They’re just like us!) “It’s great: yesterday I was doing jury duty, today I got an Academy Award nomination…. only in America,” Leto said. “We probably shouldn’t talk about the case anymore (laughs).” READ FULL STORY
EW is inside all the Golden Globes parties tonight. Check out our reports from inside all the carousing and celebrating. Check back often for updates and follow us on Twitter at #EWglobes.
READ FULL STORY
Jared Leto took home his first Golden Globe earlier tonight, for Best Supporting Actor.
“I waxed my entire body,” Leto explained in his acceptance speech about his prep for the role in Dallas Buyers Club. “I’m just lucky it wasn’t a period piece so I didn’t have to do full Brazilian. …It’s more than an honor to come back and have this support. I never expected it and I never even dreamed of it.”
As a response to his role as a transgender woman, Leto concluded his speech saying, “To the Rayons of the world, thanks for your inspiration.”
Anyone attending Thirty Seconds to Mars’s sold-out concert in St. Louis tonight is in for a special treat: They’ll get to see Jared Leto’s very first show since being nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe this morning.
Leto wasn’t even awake when the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced that he was up for the award; instead, the Dallas Buyers Club star tells EW that he was “on a bunk aboard a bus that’s traveling across America in the absolute freezing cold, dead asleep.” Adds Leto: “I still may be sleeping; I’m not sure.”
But Leto will be fully alert tonight, when he takes the stage for another performance with his band — one that will double as a post-nominations victory lap. “Any night onstage with Thirty Seconds to Mars is a great night,” he says. “It’s a celebration. I couldn’t think of a better way to spend the night celebrating this nomination. Our shows are all about a celebration. It’s all about a celebration of life, and it’s a wonderful way to spend your life, sharing excitement and creativity with people all around the world.”
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Colbert Report' wraps with an immortal, star-studded finale
- 25 best 'Stephen Colbert' moments
- Stephen Colbert's 6 most awkward in-character interviews
- 'White Collar': Perfect 'Au Revoir' to our favorite con artist?
- 'Suits' promo reveals Louis' next move
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- Neil Patrick Harris arrives at the freak show in 'American Horror Story' promo
- 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'AHS: Freak Show'; 'Survivor'; more TV recaps
- 'The Colbert Report' wraps up with an immortal, star-studded finale
- Louis' next move revealed in 'Suits' promo -- exclusive
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln talks 'cruel' twist and reveals the true meaning behind the 'shut…
- 'White Collar' series finale: The perfect goodbye to our favorite con artist
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple answers midseason finale burning questions