• Denzel Washington devotedly protected Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire. Now he’s signed on to a new project that will have him protecting a child, though this time in a near future big city setting. The film is Shovel Ready, an adaptation of the yet-to-be-released debut novel of New York Times journalist Adam Sternbergh. Here’s how Deadline’s report described the plot: “In a bombed-out, near future New York City where most of the population escapes reality by tapping into a digital fantasy world, a contract killer is hired to kill the daughter of a powerful, maniacal evangelist. Ultimately, the killer becomes the girl’s protector.” The novel hits shelves on Jan. 14, 2014. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Mark Webber (1-4 of 4)
Zom rom com Warm Bodies featured a lot of sweet and funny teen romance moments but also plenty of post-apocalyptic action scenes. When production transitioned into those run-from-zombies sequences near the end of the shoot, Australian actress Teresa Palmer, who plays Julie, had to get into action star mode.
Below check out an EW exclusive video from Warm Bodies’ Blu-ray extras (out tomorrow, Tuesday, June 4) that features Palmer recollecting the taxing transition into the production’s action sequences.
Then read on for more from Palmer about the making of Warm Bodies and Australian drama Wish You Were Here, where she plays one of four friends who embark on a vacation-gone-wrong in southeast Asia. Following its premiere at Sundance in 2012, Wish You Were Here opens in U.S. theaters this Friday, June 7. The 27-year-old actress also told EW about her work on Terrence Malick’s upcoming film, Knight of Cups, and how it inspired her to make her own cinéma vérité project that will complete production in late August. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Anne Hathaway and Chloe Moretz might play best friends; Plus, Kate Mara, Peter Fonda, more
• Things have been pretty quiet for Anne Hathaway on the casting front since her Best Supporting Actress win, but we just assumed that she was waiting to line up the perfect post-Oscar project. She may have found that in Lynn Shelton’s (Your Sister’s Sister) next project Laggies — a dark comedy about a late 20-something afraid of growing up. Chloë Moretz, Sam Rockwell, and Mark Webber are also in talks to star. With a script by Like the Red Panda author Andrea Siegel, Hathaway would play Megan, the 20-something in question. When her boyfriend (potentially Webber) proposes to her, she decides to hide from life with her 16-year-old best friend Annika (Moretz). [Deadline]
• House of Cards’ Kate Mara is coming back to the big screen to join Johnny Depp and Rebecca Hall in Wally Pfister’s Transcendence. No word yet on her role, but we continue to be very excited for Pfister’s directorial debut. He’s even got the support of his longtime collaborator Christopher Nolan who is serving as a producer on the project along Emma Thomas (Nolan’s wife and producer). Pfister has tapped Jess Hall (Brideshead Revisited) to serve as cinematographer. [Deadline]
“Once upon a time there was a little boy named Isaac. He made everyone’s dreams come true.”
That’s the opening line in the trailer for Mark Webber’s The End of Love, a Sundance film that Webber wrote and directed and filled with his actor friends, like Michael Cera. But it’s not a fairy tale and it’s hardly a romantic comedy; it’s the polar opposite of both. Webber plays a version of himself, an actor struggling to be a dad to his two-year-old son — played by Webber’s real son, Isaac — after his wife dies. “It’s inspired by elements of his life. He does have loss in his life, and it’s about how you deal with it, but also how you process it while having someone to take care of,” Sundance chief programmer Trevor Groth told EW last November. “It’s very intimate.”
(Don’t worry: Isaac’s real mom, actress Frankie Shaw, is alive and well, though the breakup of her relationship with Webber inspired the screenplay.)
READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Poor Little Lamb'
- 'Twilight Saga' returning with five short films on Facebook
- Tricia Helfer in Syfy's space thriller 'Ascension': First trailer
- 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; 'New Girl'; 'Utopia': Tuesday TV recaps
- 'Selfie' series premiere: Let's compare notes
- 'Manhattan Love Story': Disappointment at first sight
- Rory Gilmore Reading Project creator to dive into all 338 books named on series; 7 he's liked so far
- 'SNL': YOUR 10 all-time favorite sketches are...