Actors aren’t the characters they play (duh!), but a lot of times we pretend they are. Whoever they happen to be off-screen can dictate the lens through which we experience them on-screen. In The Canyons, Paul Schrader’s raunchy and malevolent dark-side-of-L.A. thriller soap opera, Lindsay Lohan, in troweled-on ’60s makeup (think Elizabeth Taylor meets Tura Satana), plays a Los Angeles hanger-on named Tara who always seems a thin step away from falling apart. The character, in many respects, is worlds away from Lohan herself, yet we can’t help but notice the similarities. Both exude attitude and vulnerability in equal measure, and both are damaged beauties who have clung to their sexual allure as a kind of hard-edged final option. They’re both party girls who have begun to run out of gas. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Paul Schrader (1-2 of 2)
It’s the moment we’ve all been either waiting for … or dreading. After months of hype, fascinating profiles, delays, and finger-twirling, The Canyons is finally upon us.
From the minds of writer Bret Easton Ellis and director Paul Schrader, The Canyons is a Los Angeles-set neo-noir about Tara (Lindsay Lohan), an aspiring actress, and her producer boyfriend Christian (James Deen), and all the gritty eroticism that their modern-day, exaggerated L.A. has to offer.
For those of you who were somewhat won over by the manipulative pastiche of the teaser, the first official trailer goes in a slightly different direction. It opens with a Tara pondering the movie-going experience, intercut with images of abandoned theaters, but then transitions into a neon montage of sultry, provocative images of scantily clad Lohan and Deen. And of course we get one shot of Gus Van Sant, who also stars in the film. The background music is on trend, with a similar feel to the tracks used for the commercial spots for Spring Breakers and The Bling Ring.
Take a look at the trailer after the jump and let us know what you think.
Latest Videos in Movies
- Prince George: We know THAT look...
- Kate Hudson shares her favorite 'Overboard' lines
- 'Walking Dead': Carol, Judith, Rick in 2 new pics
- 'Arrow': 'We believe in accelerated storytelling'
- 'Vikings' Comic-Con comic book: We've got the cover
- 'Sons of Anarchy' ending: Kurt Sutter says...
- Kacy Catanzaro talks 'Ninja Warrior' whirlwind
- Batman's best stories: 9 that shine
- 'Two and a Half Men' final season to tackle 'gay' adoption 629
- 'Lost cause' 407
- Captain America is black, Thor is a woman, and Iron Man has a new costume: Witness Avengers NOW! 505
- 'Doctor Who': Which episode should newbies check out first? 421
- 'Dating Naked' reveals disappointingly small ratings 285
- Robert Downey, Jr. tops Forbes' list of highest paid actors once again
- 'The Walking Dead': See Carol, Judith and Rick in exclusive new season 5 images
- Why 'Rocky IV' is the best fight -- Ever!
- 'Sons of Anarchy' creator says series ending not yet decided
- Kacy Catanzaro would happily hit the 'American Ninja Warrior' obstacle course with Stephen Amell