Actors aren’t the characters they play (duh!), but a lot of times we pretend they are. Whoever they happen to be off-screen can dictate the lens through which we experience them on-screen. In The Canyons, Paul Schrader’s raunchy and malevolent dark-side-of-L.A. thriller soap opera, Lindsay Lohan, in troweled-on ’60s makeup (think Elizabeth Taylor meets Tura Satana), plays a Los Angeles hanger-on named Tara who always seems a thin step away from falling apart. The character, in many respects, is worlds away from Lohan herself, yet we can’t help but notice the similarities. Both exude attitude and vulnerability in equal measure, and both are damaged beauties who have clung to their sexual allure as a kind of hard-edged final option. They’re both party girls who have begun to run out of gas. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Paul Schrader (1-2 of 2)
It’s the moment we’ve all been either waiting for … or dreading. After months of hype, fascinating profiles, delays, and finger-twirling, The Canyons is finally upon us.
From the minds of writer Bret Easton Ellis and director Paul Schrader, The Canyons is a Los Angeles-set neo-noir about Tara (Lindsay Lohan), an aspiring actress, and her producer boyfriend Christian (James Deen), and all the gritty eroticism that their modern-day, exaggerated L.A. has to offer.
For those of you who were somewhat won over by the manipulative pastiche of the teaser, the first official trailer goes in a slightly different direction. It opens with a Tara pondering the movie-going experience, intercut with images of abandoned theaters, but then transitions into a neon montage of sultry, provocative images of scantily clad Lohan and Deen. And of course we get one shot of Gus Van Sant, who also stars in the film. The background music is on trend, with a similar feel to the tracks used for the commercial spots for Spring Breakers and The Bling Ring.
Take a look at the trailer after the jump and let us know what you think.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Arrow' shocker: Talk about 'Seeing Red'
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'John From Cincinnati': Why not ready for Prime time?
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- TV clip shows: 5 all-time standouts
- 'Mean Girls' star comes out in letter to his character
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 651
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 494
- Slaves to Love 464
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 508
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE