• Downton Abbey’s Lady Sybil Crawley — a.k.a. Jessica Brown Findlay — has landed the lead female role in Akiva Goldsman‘s adaptation of Mark Helprin‘s acclaimed 1983 novel Winter’s Tale. In the heightened period fantasy/drama hybrid, Findlay will play a wealthy young woman dying of consumption who, as one does, falls in love with a desperate thief when he breaks into her massive mansion. Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass) and Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy) are reportedly in the running for the thief role, and Russell Crowe is likely to join as the thief’s main antagonist with the most excellent name Pearly Soames. It will be Goldsman’s directorial debut. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (1-2 of 2)
He’s the very model of a modern major Prime Minister in The Ghost Writer. He’s quite the Centaur in Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. He’s soon to be seen as Robert Pattinson’s father in Remember Me. Is there nothing Pierce Brosnan cant do? I mean, other than sing, in Mamma Mia!?
No, the answer is no: There is nothing Brosnan can’t do. And everything he does do on screen these days, he does with a gusto, energy, and freedom that James Bond — Brosnan’s most iconic on-screen character — might envy. So this blog item is just an ode, a song of happiness, a paean of praise to an actor who takes work seriously, but not his movie-star image. (Did you see him in The Matador?) Who enhances every movie he’s in, whether he can carry a tune or not. (Did you hear him butcher “S.O.S”?) Who, like a select category of lucky middle-aged male actors who feel comfortable in their own skin, can turn a flawed character into a man we can’t stop watching. (My favorite: Brosnan as the sleazy British secret service guy in John Boorman’s excellent, underrated 2001 adaptation of John le Carre’s The Tailor of Panama).
Are you with me on this? Got a favorite Brosnan moment? While you ponder, enjoy the former 007 in a less than dapper moment.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': How big at the box office?
- 'Big Brother' recap: Evicted houseguest is...
- 'Project Runway' recap: Unconventional movie night
- 'Honorable Woman': Thriller deals deftly with a complex subject
- 'The Quest' premiere: Bored game
- Comic-Con: Why Team 'Twilight' made it better
- DC Comics characters we'd invite to the 'Arrow'/'Flash' party
- Chris Hardwick shares his Comic-Con '14 photo diary
- STAHP in the name of love 966
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 595
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 460
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 335
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Dick Smith, makeup artist of 'The Godfather,' 'The Exorcist': A tribute
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Sony releases surprise NSync album; NSync is surprised
- Movie Review: Guardians of the Galaxy