• Downton Abbey’s Lady Sybil Crawley — a.k.a. Jessica Brown Findlay — has landed the lead female role in Akiva Goldsman‘s adaptation of Mark Helprin‘s acclaimed 1983 novel Winter’s Tale. In the heightened period fantasy/drama hybrid, Findlay will play a wealthy young woman dying of consumption who, as one does, falls in love with a desperate thief when he breaks into her massive mansion. Aaron Johnson (Kick Ass) and Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy) are reportedly in the running for the thief role, and Russell Crowe is likely to join as the thief’s main antagonist with the most excellent name Pearly Soames. It will be Goldsman’s directorial debut. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (1-2 of 2)
He’s the very model of a modern major Prime Minister in The Ghost Writer. He’s quite the Centaur in Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. He’s soon to be seen as Robert Pattinson’s father in Remember Me. Is there nothing Pierce Brosnan cant do? I mean, other than sing, in Mamma Mia!?
No, the answer is no: There is nothing Brosnan can’t do. And everything he does do on screen these days, he does with a gusto, energy, and freedom that James Bond — Brosnan’s most iconic on-screen character — might envy. So this blog item is just an ode, a song of happiness, a paean of praise to an actor who takes work seriously, but not his movie-star image. (Did you see him in The Matador?) Who enhances every movie he’s in, whether he can carry a tune or not. (Did you hear him butcher “S.O.S”?) Who, like a select category of lucky middle-aged male actors who feel comfortable in their own skin, can turn a flawed character into a man we can’t stop watching. (My favorite: Brosnan as the sleazy British secret service guy in John Boorman’s excellent, underrated 2001 adaptation of John le Carre’s The Tailor of Panama).
Are you with me on this? Got a favorite Brosnan moment? While you ponder, enjoy the former 007 in a less than dapper moment.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Project Runway All Stars': Look who's back for another round
- 'Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln: Fear the beard in season 5
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: And our first night scores are...
- 'Facts of Life' cast reunites, shares memories at PaleyFest
- 'Castle' cast gets slap-happy in season 6 gag reel
- Bill Hader reminisces about Stefon with TV hubby Seth Meyers
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- 'Flash': How it went from concept to series in 5 superfast steps
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- Ryan Murphy on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Tapestry Revealed
- First Look: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt swept away in romantic drama 'By the Sea'