The release of Kimberly Peirce’s faithful, solid, efficient, and therefore essentially pointless remake of Carrie gives me the opportunity to look back at the 1976 original, which is still one of my favorite films — and, in fact, one of the most important movies of my life. It’s one of the two films, the other being Robert Altman’s Nashville, that made me want to be a critic. And that’s because Carrie did more than thrill, frighten, and captivate me; it sent a volt charge through my system that rewired my imagination, showing me everything that movies could be. I’ll never forget the first time I saw Carrie, at my local mall the day after Thanksgiving. I was a teenage geek who was fast on his way to becoming a movie freak (in this culture, we all need a role, and that would be mine). But I was still finding my way in cinema world, so even though the film had been out for close to a month, I knew nothing about it. I hadn’t read any reviews; I had never heard of the director, Brian De Palma, or Stephen King, whose 1974 novel the movie was based on, or any of the actors. READ FULL STORY
Tag: Piper Laurie (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Vampire Diaries' date night? Watch Damon ask Elena out in sneak peek
- 'Game of Thrones' creators watching the show in IMAX: Why it's 'the way it's really meant to be seen'
- Super Bowl matchup in Budweiser ad: Puppy vs. wolf (and the Clydesdales win)
- 'Party Down South' season 3 peek: Meet Hannah, the new hell-raiser
- 'Walking Dead': Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita super-intense in new photos
- Shonda Rhimes talks 'Grey's Anatomy': 'we need an infusion of men'
- 'Arrow' costar Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'lucky, excited, grateful, thrilled'
- 'Parenthood': 10 best episodes
- 'Grey's Anatomy' boss teases new doctors and new relationships
- 'Arrow' star Katie Cassidy on suiting up as Black Canary: 'It's messy'
- 'Walking Dead' actor joins 'Criminal Minds' spinoff
- Daryl, Eugene, and Rosita look super-intense in new 'Walking Dead' photos -- exclusive
- Budweiser's Super Bowl ad again features adorable puppy, horses