• Things are about to get animated for Jon Hamm. The Mad Men actor will lend his voice to Minions, Universal’s spinoff of their Despicable Me movies that is capitalizing on the little yellow creatures that stole the show in the first film in 2010 (Despicable Me 2 comes out this summer). Hamm will voice the inventor Herb Overkill, husband of stylish super-villain Scarlet Overkill (Sandra Bullock). His previous voice acting work includes such TV shows as Robot Chicken and Archer. [Deadline] READ FULL STORY »
Tag: Sam Worthington (1-4 of 4)
Casting Net: Bradley Cooper in high demand; Plus Jessica Chastain, Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, and more
• Warner Bros. has acquired The Man From Primrose Lane with the intent of developing it into a feature for Bradley Cooper. Chad Feehan (Paranormal Activity 4) will write the screenplay based on James Renner’s novel about a true crime writer who decides to investigate the mysterious murder of a mitten-wearing, West Akron, Ohio recluse. [Deadline]
• Bradley Cooper is also currently in discussions to re-team with Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine) for his next project, tentatively called Chef and described as a “culinary comedy” about a disgraced Paris-based chef attempting to stage a comeback in London. Cooper can be seen alongside Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling in Cianfrance’s upcoming film The Place Beyond the Pines, out in theaters March 29. [Variety]
• Though they haven’t even begun work on Animal Rescue yet, Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace are currently in talks join Daniel Espinosa’s (Safe House) adaptation of the thriller Child 44. Set in Stalin’s Soviet Union and based on Tom Rob Smith’s novel — the first in a trilogy — is about a devoted war hero whose faith in the system is shaken when he is forced to investigate the death of a child. [The Wrap]
• Charlize Theron is in talks to star in Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West, which has been described as a broad comedy in the vein of Blazing Saddles. As his first feature after Ted, MacFarlane is not only co-writing and directing the film — he’ll also star. [THR]
There’s a new high-stakes surf drama on the way, and no, it’s not Chasing Mavericks. Or Blue Crush. Or Point Break.
Drift revolves around two brothers in 1970s Australia who start a backyard surf gear business in order to help get their family out of debt. Xavier Samuel and Myles Pollard star as the brothers, Jimmy and Andy Kelly; Avatar star Sam Worthington plays their surf photographer friend JB. The movie, produced by the Aussie independent film company Hopscotch, is due out in Australia in 2013, with a US release to follow.
Watch the trailer after the jump.
Casting Net: Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks sign on for 'Inevitable Defeat.' Plus: Kellan Lutz, Camilla Belle to play straight lovers in a gay world
• Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks, Anthony Mackie, and Jeffrey Wright have all signed on to The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete, an indie drama about two children who are left to their own devices after their respective mothers are taken into government custody. George Tillman Jr. (Notorious) will direct the script by first-time feature writer Michael Starrbury. [Deadline]
• Sam Worthington is in preliminary negotiations to star opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in Ten, an indie thriller about a corrupt DEA task force that absconds with a drug cartel’s money, only to have each member of the team die one at a time. David Ayer (Street Kings, this fall’s End of Watch) will direct. [Variety]
• Camilla Belle and Kellan Lutz are nearing deals to star as forbidden lovers in Love is All You Need?, a What If drama about a world in which homosexuality is commonplace and heterosexuality is taboo. Belle would play a star football quarterback (that’s not a typo); Lutz a journalist. Kim Rocco Shields will direct from a script she co-wrote with David Tillman, adapted from a similarly themed short film. [Variety]
Casting Net: Kenneth Branagh to play villain in (and direct) Jack Ryan film. Plus: Lena Headey, Abigail Breslin, Josh Holloway
Casting Net: Gwyneth Paltrow eyeing foodie pic ‘Blood, Bones, & Butter.’ Plus: Amy Adams, Robin Williams, Kevin Kline
Casting Net: Jeremy Renner eyeing David O. Russell drama. Plus: Daniel Radcliffe, Juliette Lewis, Johnny Depp
- 'Star Trek' No. 1 on Friday: $22M
- 'SNL': All Stefon's 'N.Y.'s hottest clubs'
- Seth Meyers on 'SNL' transition: 'Today'
- Shonda Rhimes talks 'Grey's' finale
- 'Voice': Team Xtina or Team Shakira?
- 'Warehouse 13' canceled by Syfy
- 'Office' finale reaction: Yay or nay?
- Kanye video projected onto 66 buildings