• Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan may reunite on screen for the actress’ directorial debut Ithaca. Hanks would have a cameo role in the World War II coming-of-age drama based on William Saroyan’s novel The Human Comedy and already serves as an executive producer. Erik Jendresen (Killing Lincoln) adapted the script that will also feature Ryan onscreen, as well as the previously announced Sam Shepard (August: Osage County), Melanie Griffith (Working Girl), and Jack Quaid, Ryan’s son with actor Dennis Quaid. This would be the fourth time the pair has appeared on screen together after Joe Versus the Volcano, Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve Got Mail. [Variety] READ FULL STORY
Tag: Scoot McNairy (1-5 of 5)
Actors love the challenge of a disguise–whether it’s a weight gain or loss, a prosthetic nose, a wig, or full-on CGI transformation, it signifies commitment with a capital “c” to the casual onlooker. In Lenny Abrahamson’s Frank, handsome Michael Fassbender takes the idea of a disguise one step further to play the idiosyncratic lead singer of an already peculiar fringe pop group: He wears a papier-mache head for the entirety of the film.
The oddball comedy, which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, introduces viewers to this band of misfits through Domhnall Gleeson’s wide-eyed, blogging Jon, a wannabe who joins the band–which includes Maggie Gyllenhaal’s Clara, a deadpan, tell-it-like-it-is theremin player–as they grasp for authenticity and artistic inspiration, while also trying to tolerate Frank’s whimsical mode of living.
Check out the first U.S. trailer after the jump. READ FULL STORY
What happens when a massage therapist suddenly can’t stand to touch her clients…or anyone?
That’s at least one of the questions explored in Touchy Feely, writer-director Lynn Shelton’s followup to Your Sister’s Sister and Humpday. The film follows Abby (Rosemarie DeWitt), the aforementioned masseuse, and Paul (Josh Pais), her dentist brother who suddenly discovers he can actually heal people with his touch. Argo’s Scoot McNairy co-stars as Abby’s boyfriend Jesse who, apparently, takes a liking to her niece (Ellen Page).
The film, which also stars Ron Livingson and Allison Janney, premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival where it picked up a Grand Jury Prize nomination. Check out the trailer after the jump.
Lynn Shelton’s latest film has a touchy subject. Literally. The writer-director of Humpday and Your Sister’s Sister is re-teaming with Rosemarie DeWitt — who just scored a Spirit nom for Sister — on Touchy Feely, a drama about a massage therapist who develops an aversion to bodily contact. Shelton spoke exclusively with EW about the project, which she says goes into more dramatic territory that her previous projects. “It doesn’t have this rollicky, bantering feel that my last couple films have had,” she says. “It definitely has laughs, but it really is a drama. It’s really about attempting to live in your own skin, both literally and metaphorically.” READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Julianne Moore going 'Non Stop' with Liam Neeson. Plus: Chris Hemsworth, Jamie Foxx, Michelle Williams
• Chris Hemsworth has been offered the lead role in American Assassin, based on Vince Flynn’s novel series about Mitch Rapp, a troubled man who hunts terrorists for the CIA. Bruce Willis is also negotiating to play Rapp’s trainer. Jeffrey Nachmanoff (Showtime’s Homeland) will direct from a script by Michael Finch (Predators), and Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz (The Last Samurai). [Deadline]
• Jamie Foxx will star in After Prom, a comedy about high school buddies facing the rite of passage of watching their own kids go to their high school prom. Ken Jeong penned the script, and, as it happens, the Community and The Hangover actor will star opposite Kevin Hart in Foxx’s feature writing-and-directing debut, the basketball comedy All-Star, about two buddies, one a die-hard Kobe Bryant fan, the other a die-hard LeBron James fan. [The L.A. Times]
• Michelle Williams is negotiating to star in the WWII period drama Suite Francaise, adapted from the celebrated Irene Nemirovsky novel about a Frenchwoman who falls in love with a German soldier. Saul Dibb (The Duchess) will write and direct. [Variety]
• Kevin Kline is attached to play legendary Hollywood actor Errol Flynn in the dark biopic The Last of Robin Hood, about the affair Flynn maintained with a 17-year-old aspiring actress at the end of his life. Susan Sarandon would play the actress’ mother. Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland (Quinceanera) are writing and directing. [Variety]
• Uma Thurman is adding her name to the fascinatingly eclectic cast of writer-director Lars von Trier‘s latest cinematic provocation, the sexually-charged drama Nymphomaniac. She joins Charlotte Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgard, Shia LaBeouf, Jamie Bell, and Connie Nielsen. [Variety]
Casting Net: Ben Affleck coming into ‘Focus.’ Plus: Beyonce leaves ‘A Star is Born’
Casting Net: Anne Hathaway joins Mindy Kaling-penned comedy. Plus: Ron Perlman, Paul Dano
Casting Net: Kim Basinger joins Paul Haggis’ romantic drama ‘The Third Person.’ Plus: Patricia Clarkson, Katee Sackhoff
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Bachelorette' recap: STAHP in the name of love
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'Goldfinch' movie rights go to...
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits: Day 3
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay': First teaser trailer
- 'Leftovers': The last straw
- Comic-Con 2014: All the stars at the EW Hideout
- 'Game of Thrones': Epic season 4 blooper reel
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 566
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 303
- The house (un)divided 321
- Video: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' trailer unlocks the key 288
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 271