Sherlock Holmes has appeared on stage and on screen numerous times played by dozens of actors, and now, thanks to a recent discovery, fans of the world’s greatest detective will be able to view a lost but key piece of his on-screen history.
Tag: Sherlock Holmes (1-5 of 5)
Whether it’s Sherlock Holmes or Star Trek‘s Khan, Benedict Cumberbatch is known for portraying complex, nuanced characters. Still, the actor felt a particular responsibility to dig deep when it came time to play brilliant cryptographer Alan Turing—the British mathematician who deciphered Nazi codes during WWII and was later prosecuted for being gay—in The Imitation Game.
“He’s an exceptional man,” says Cumberbatch, who prepped for the role by perfecting Turing’s stuttering cadences and studying his correspondence with the mother of his high school crush. “I hope this film does justice to this unsung hero.”
The movie hits theaters Nov. 21 (or Nov. 14, if you fly to the U.K. to see it), but we procured a couple stills to hold you over.
When director Bill Condon asked Laura Linney to star in his new film A Slight Trick of the Mind — starring Ian McKellen as an aging Sherlock Holmes — he hadn’t a clue that he was tapping into Linney’s childhood fantasies.
Linney, 50, who will play Holmes’ housekeeper Mrs. Munro, is no casual devotee of Arthur Conan Doyle’s series of novels about the acerbic detective. Rather, she is a devoted, senior thesis-writing, sweatshirt-wearing Sherlock geek. READ FULL STORY
Richard III, Gandalf, Magneto … and now Sherlock Holmes.
Ian McKellen has added Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s uncanny sleuth to his list of literary incarnations, having agreed to play Holmes in director Bill Condon’s upcoming film A Slight Trick of the Mind.
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: And the mirrorball goes to...
- 'The Flash'; 'Supernatural'; 'The Voice'; 'Mindy Project'; more TV recaps
- Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson breaks silence in ABC News interview
- Hugh Jackman welcomes(?) us to Neverland in 'Pan' trailer
- 'Jurassic World': Watch first full trailer
- Black Friday preview: Where to find deals on Blu-ray, books, videogames
- Jim Parsons gets a read on 1922 play 'Merton of the Movies': 'a very visceral link to the past'
- Jennifer Aniston vs. Lisa Kudrow: A little cussing among 'Friends'