Sherlock Holmes has appeared on stage and on screen numerous times played by dozens of actors, and now, thanks to a recent discovery, fans of the world’s greatest detective will be able to view a lost but key piece of his on-screen history.
Tag: Sherlock Holmes (1-5 of 5)
Whether it’s Sherlock Holmes or Star Trek‘s Khan, Benedict Cumberbatch is known for portraying complex, nuanced characters. Still, the actor felt a particular responsibility to dig deep when it came time to play brilliant cryptographer Alan Turing—the British mathematician who deciphered Nazi codes during WWII and was later prosecuted for being gay—in The Imitation Game.
“He’s an exceptional man,” says Cumberbatch, who prepped for the role by perfecting Turing’s stuttering cadences and studying his correspondence with the mother of his high school crush. “I hope this film does justice to this unsung hero.”
The movie hits theaters Nov. 21 (or Nov. 14, if you fly to the U.K. to see it), but we procured a couple stills to hold you over.
When director Bill Condon asked Laura Linney to star in his new film A Slight Trick of the Mind — starring Ian McKellen as an aging Sherlock Holmes — he hadn’t a clue that he was tapping into Linney’s childhood fantasies.
Linney, 50, who will play Holmes’ housekeeper Mrs. Munro, is no casual devotee of Arthur Conan Doyle’s series of novels about the acerbic detective. Rather, she is a devoted, senior thesis-writing, sweatshirt-wearing Sherlock geek. READ FULL STORY
Richard III, Gandalf, Magneto … and now Sherlock Holmes.
Ian McKellen has added Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s uncanny sleuth to his list of literary incarnations, having agreed to play Holmes in director Bill Condon’s upcoming film A Slight Trick of the Mind.
Latest Videos in Movies
- J.K. Rowling digs into Dolores Umbridge in new Pottermore story
- 'Sons of Anarchy' wraps series finale, team shares pics from set
- 'Two and a Half Men' returns: 'Duckie's gettin' lucky'
- 31 scariest movies of all time: Chris Nashawaty's picks
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- 'How to Get Away With Murder'; 'Scandal'; 'Vampire Diaries'; 'Reign'; more TV recaps
- 'Big Bang' Theory; 'Project Runway All Stars'; 'Parenthood'; 'Graceland'; more TV recaps
- Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ewan McGregor in 'The Real Thing': EW stage review
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Children of the Revolution: An exclusive first look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- Videogame face-off: 'FIFA 10' vs. 'NBA2K10'
- Get an exclusive first look at 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies'