L.M. Kit Carson, the eclectic, fiercely independent Texas filmmaker best known for starring in the ahead-of-its-time cinéma vérité satire David Holzman’s Diary, shaping the narrative arc of Paris, Texas, and helping launch the career of Wes Anderson, died Monday after a lengthy illness, his son Hunter announced on Facebook. He was 73.
Tag: Texas (1-2 of 2)
After nabbing a second Oscar for his revisionist cowboys-and-slaveowners flick Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino is heading west — southwest, that is.
Tarantino’s jetting off to Austin, Tex. next week, where he’ll present the Star of Texas Award to Richard Linklater’s Dazed and Confused. The coming of age comedy — both filmed and set in Austin — is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. Tarantino has long been a fan of the movie, even naming it his 10th favorite film of all time in a 2002 Sight and Sound poll.
The Star of Texas presentation will occur during this year’s 13th annual Texas Film Hall of Fame Awards, which celebrates the Lone Star State’s film industry and benefits the Austin Film Society; actors Annette O’Toole, Henry Thomas, Steven Toblowsky, and Robin Wright will be honored this year as well. The ceremony will be held March 7, just one day before Austin’s South by Southwest film and music festival begins. Expect to see a lot of cool dudes and hip, hip ladies there.
Latest Videos in Movies
- Ryan Murphy reveals an 'American Horror Story' secret: Seasons 'are all connected'
- 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' to be canceled by NBC
- Billy Bob Thornton's 'Big Bang Theory' cameo: How it happened
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer Yes/No/Can't Say (or more) to your Twitter Q's
- 'SNL' lights up Sia's 'Chandelier,' more of the week's best music on TV
- 'Amazing Race' recap: 'I Feel Like I Just Kissed a Goat'
- 'Showrunners' documentary: Insights from Kurt Sutter, Hart Hanson, Mike Kelley
- 'Interstellar' review: Awe-fully sappy
- NBC to cancel 'Bad Judge,' 'A to Z' with zombie twist
- Ryan Murphy on the different seasons of 'American Horror Story': 'They're all connected'
- How 'The Big Bang Theory' scored Billy Bob Thornton for a surprise guest spot
- The Hot Seat: 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning questions
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Scandal,' 'Walking Dead, 'Blacklist' and more