Finally, here’s a trailer for a movie musical that doesn’t try to hide the fact that it is indeed a musical: Anna Kendrick (soon to be seen belting in Into the Woods) and Jeremy Jordan are falling in and out of love all the while singing their hearts out in the trailer for The Last 5 Years. READ FULL STORY
Tag: The Last Five Years (1-6 of 6)
For studios looking to buy at the Toronto International Film Festival, Chris Rock emerged a very hot property. The comedian’s Top Five sparked a bidding war, according to multiple reports, with Paramount emerging the victor and scoring the worldwide rights to the film, the studio announced today. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio paid around $12.5 million for the film.
“Chris and I go back decades, both personally and professionally, and so I am particularly proud to have watched his career grow to its highest heights over many decades,” Paramount Chairman and CEO Brad Grey said in a statement. “This film showcases brilliantly how talented Chris is as a filmmaker and storyteller and we are thrilled to be partnering with him, Scott Rudin and my longtime friend, the legendary Barry Diller and IACF for its worldwide launch.”
Rock’s film, which he co-wrote and directed, garnered wide acclaim at the festival—Vanity Fair even called it Rock’s Annie Hall. In the film Rock plays Andre Allen, a comedian-turned-movie star, who is being profiled for the New York Times by a reporter played by Rosario Dawson. Gabrielle Union is Andre’s reality star fiancée, and a variety of comedians—including Tracy Morgan, Cedric the Entertainer, Kevin Hart, and Leslie Jones—also appear.
But Top Five isn’t the only film to score a deal at the festival. Here’s what studios have bought so far. We’ll be updating this post as more come in. (U.S. distribution deal unless otherwise noted.)
“You don’t have to get a haircut,” Anna Kendrick sings to her beloved in The Last 5 Years, “you don’t have to change your shoes.” And you don’t have to wait until the film’s 2015 release to get a taste of Kendrick as Cathy.
The Last 5 Years, directed by P.S. I Love You‘s Richard LaGravenese, is adapted from Jason Robert Brown’s Off-Broadway hit that follows a couple’s five-year relationship told almost exclusively through song—and also told from two different timelines. Cathy’s parts begin at the end of the relationship while Jamie’s (Jeremy Jordan) begin at the start of it, and the two story lines don’t collide until Jamie proposes. READ FULL STORY
Your next Valentine’s Day date may be a tearjerker.
In one of the first major acquisitions of this year’s Toronto International Film Festival, the Weinstein Company’s boutique label RADiUS has picked up the North American rights to The Last 5 Years, the hotly anticipated film adaptation of the cult favorite Off-Broadway musical by Tony winner Jason Robert Brown. The movie is slated for a Valentine’s Day 2015 release. READ FULL STORY
• It’s a Transformers reunion: Megan Fox is joining Michael Bay‘s TMNT reboot. Bay, who is producing the movie, announced the news on his blog with the simple, one-sentence post, “TMNT: we are bringing Megan Fox back into the family!” EW has confirmed that Fox will play April O’Neil, the Turtles’ human friend, and that the movie is set to start shooting this spring. Fox has spoken publicly about her on-set friction with Bay – she once said the blockbuster mastermind is “like Hitler on his sets” – but now, lucky for Michelangelo and co. (or not so lucky, depending on whom you ask), it looks like Fox and Bay have patched things up. [Michaelbay.com]
• Adam Sandler is switching up his schedule. His comic Western Ridiculous 6 will be delayed as a result of Sandler signing on to star in an untitled romantic comedy about a blended family. Drew Barrymore is being considered for the female lead. The film is being developed at Warner Bros., and will now also be produced by Sandler’s company, Happy Madison. [Variety, Deadline]
Latest Videos in Movies
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- David Schwimmer to play Robert Kardashian in Ryan Murphy's O.J. Simpson miniseries
- 'Amazing Race' behind-the-scenes pics from Phil Keoghan's season 25 collection
- 'Parenthood,' 'Parks and Rec,' Agent Carter,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- 'Daredevil' First Look: New photos from Netflix series
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Colbert Report' finale singalong: A complete who's who in all-star chorus
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- 'The Colbert Report' wraps up with an immortal, star-studded finale
- Jeff Probst reveals the secret 'Survivor' ending you didn't see...and it's the best thing ever
- Louis' next move revealed in 'Suits' promo -- exclusive
- 'Game of Thrones': See Arya's radical new costume design -- exclusive