When film directors stage a scene from the mid-1970s, we all know how it’s done: They’ll clear everything out of a shot — commercial signage, etc. — that violates the period, and then they’ll plunk down a bunch of 1970s parked cars. Yet what they end up with still doesn’t usually look like the period — it looks prefab — and watching Blood Ties, a rivetingly scuzzy and authentic New York cops-and-crime drama (it’s set in 1974), starring Clive Owen as a hard case who has just gotten out of prison and Billy Crudup as his straight-arrow policeman brother, I realized what those shots are usually missing. In Blood Ties, it’s not just the cars, or the clothes, that look right — even the garbage on the streets looks right. It looks like ’70s trash. (It’s New York before the city got a makeover.) Blood Ties was directed by Guillaume Canet, who made the mesmerizing 2008 French mystery-thriller Tell No One, and while you might think that a 40-year-old European filmmaker would be the last person to get America in the ’70s right, Canet obviously knows the place, and has studied his movies. A tale of how the small-time underworld really operates, Blood Ties evokes the brilliantly ramshackle, down-and-dirty spirit of Sidney Lumet, which Canet blends with his own inquisitive heart. The movie takes its time, and it’s two-and-a-half hours long, but if you roll with it, it pays off. READ FULL STORY
Tag: the spirit of Sidney Lumet (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': 10 things Andy Serkis can say now
- Celebs on Twitter urge fans to see 'The Interview' to support free speech
- 2015 Preview: See new EW cover
- 'Mythbusters' to put 'Simpsons' to the test: 'We ended up building two replicas of the Springfield house'
- 'Orphan Black' season 3's first photo, with intel on what's in it from series creator Graeme Manson
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live read: Aaron Paul as Luke, J.K. Simmons as Vader
- 'Game of Thrones' teases fans with short, mysterious look at season 5
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst previews finale, names two odds-on favorites to win
- 'The Voice' Season 7 winner is...
- 'The Voice' season finale recap: Live Finale
- Jason Reitman re-staging 'The Empire Strikes Back' with Aaron…
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst names the two favorites to win heading into tonight's finale
- Check out the exclusive first 'Orphan Black' season 3 image (with intel from creator Graeme Manson)