• Steve Martin and Jennifer Lopez will lend their voices to DreamWorks Animation’s alien invasion comedy Home, based on Adam Rex’s children’s book The True Meaning of Smekday. Rihanna voices the main character, Gratuity Tucci (or Tip), whose mother (Lopez) was abducted by the Boov (aka aliens). Martin will voice Captain Smek, their leader, who is attempting to force all the humans to relocate to Florida. Jim Parsons will voice a Boov (coincidentally) called J.Lo, who befriends Tip. [The Wrap]
Tag: Tomorrowland (1-10 of 11)
Disney is officially cutting the ribbon on Tomorrowland.
The Brad Bird-directed sci-fi film began shooting a little over two weeks ago, and secrecy has remained tight on the project, which stars George Clooney and Hugh Laurie, and takes its title from the futuristic section of Disneyland. Today the studio sent out its start-of-production announcement, which confirmed a few plot points — but left a lot still unclear.
What’s in the box?
For months, ever since Disney revealed that its upcoming, epic sci-fi saga would be called Tomorrowland, the studio has teased fans with the contents of an archived box containing a hodgepodge of mysterious items.
On Saturday at D23, Disney’s Comic-Con-like fan gathering, director Brad Bird and screenwriter Damon Lindelof opened it before thousands of onlookers.
READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Judy Greer headed for 'Tomorrowland'?; Plus, 'Gossip Girl' alum tries Shakespeare, more
• George Clooney and Judy Greer have been working together for over 14 years: First in 1999’s Three Kings, then in 2011’s The Descendents, and now, they may be re-teaming for Disney’s Tomorrowland. Directed by Brad Bird with a script from Damon Lindelof and EW’s own Jeff Jensen, the secretive project also stars Hugh Laurie and Britt Robinson. Greer has made a career of playing quirky character roles and best friend parts in romantic comedies since she broke out in 1999 with the dark comedy Jawbreaker and the aforementioned Three Kings. As for what’s next, Greer has a role in the Carrie update with Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz, which hits theaters Oct. 18, and is currently filming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
• Britt Robertson (Under the Dome) scored the lead in Disney’s Tomorrowland, alongside George Clooney and Hugh Laurie. The film — which will be directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles) and written by Bird, Damon Lindelof (Star Trek Into Darkness), and Entertainment Weekly’s own Jeff “Doc” Jensen — is about “a high school girl with an unconventional understanding of technology” who “is launched on a journey to reclaim her future,” according to a Disney press release. The movie is due December 12, 2014.
• Max Greenfield (New Girl) is officially back as Detective Leo! While the actor spilled the beans about his involvement in the upcoming Veronica Mars movie last month, director Rob Marshall sealed the deal in a Kickstarter backer email Thursday. “When I first reached out to Max about being in the movie, he said he’d do the movie for free and pay for his own travel,” Marshall wrote. “This is only one of the many reasons I love Max. It’s also why actors have agents. (Don’t worry, SAG! We are paying Max!)” Greenfield also recorded a video message for his fans before he started filming.
READ FULL STORY
• Helena Bonham Carter will play the part of the fairy godmother in Kenneth Branagh’s live-action adaptation of Cinderella. According to reports, this is a slight re-imagining of the classic character and will find Bonham Carter in disguise as a beggar at first. In the oh-too-predictable version of the world, Bonham Carter would have been the wicked stepmother, and Cate Blanchett would have been the fairy godmother. Whether it’s Branagh, Disney, or the actresses (especially Bonham Carter) looking to branch out a little, we’re pleasantly surprised by the news. The project is set to begin its shoot this fall in London.
The follow-up to 2011’s The Muppets just got a little more specific. Previously titled Muppets…Again! the Disney movie’s new title is Muppets Most Wanted.
The new moniker is fitting for the movie’s storyline that has the Muppets entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine — the world’s No. 1 criminal, who has a striking resemblance to Kermit — and his sidekick Dominic, played by Ricky Gervais. Modern Family star Ty Burrell and Tina Fey also star in the film opening March 21, 2014.
Disney released updates on a few of its other upcoming films Thursday. Read on for the latest on Into the Woods, Saving Mr. Banks, and more. READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Robert Pattinson and David Cronenberg pic rounds out cast; Plus, Will Ferrell and Jack Black, more
• For some directors, the more absurd the log line, the better the movie. David Cronenberg’s (Videodrome) next film, which will reunite him with his Cosmopolis star Robert Pattinson, is described as a ghost story that also serves as a withering critique of the fame and celebrity-obsessed culture in Los Angeles. Called Maps to the Stars, Julianne Moore and John Cusack have just signed on to join the film as well. Moore can be seen in a number of big films in the next year including the Carrie remake, Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, and The Seventh Son. [Deadline]
• What started as a Wall Street Journal article (published just recently on January 28) may now be a movie starring comedic powerhouses Jack Black and Will Ferrell, who are both currently attached to New Line Cinema’s Tag Brothers about a bunch of adults who never called an end to their childhood game of tag. The report says that Ferrell and Black’s involvement will be dependent on the screenplay which is currently being written by Mark Steilen, who served as a second unit director on The Three Stooges and Hall Pass, and wrote and directed 1999’s The Settlement. If Tag Brothers ends up going through, maybe Ferrell will have the opportunity to avenge Baxter. [The Wrap]
Casting Net: Chris Hemsworth to team up with Michael Mann; Plus Hugh Laurie confirmed for 'Tomorrowland', Marion Cotillard, and more
• Michael Mann (Collateral, Public Enemies) is set to direct Chris Hemsworth in his new thriller that Mann has been developing and writing for over a year. Between Hemsworth’s superhero and fairy tale projects, we’re excited to see him team up with Mann, known for his realism and ability to elevate standard genre fare. The Australian actor will appear next with Olivia Wilde in Rush, the Ron Howard race car film, out this September. [Variety]
• Tomorrowland has its villain, and it’s none other than House star Hugh Laurie, EW confirmed. The hush-hush project from Brad Bird (Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, The Incredibles), Damon Lindelof (Lost), and EW’s own Jeff Jensen also stars George Clooney. Laurie largely stayed away from major film projects during his time on House, but it will be great to see the English actor and comedian take a villainous turn.
We revealed last week that the ultra-secretive “1952” project George Clooney is starring in for Disney is actually called Tomorrowland, and photos of a box of miscellaneous … uh, stuff that supposedly inspired the film were tweeted by filmmaker Brad Bird and co-writer Damon Lindelof.
What’s in the box, (as a fellow once asked?)
Official Disney fan club D23 has posted some analysis via Disney archives director Becky Cline, exploring just what’s in the image, though they don’t seem to have access to sift through the actual box just yet.
Latest Videos in Movies
- Emmys 2014: Who will win...and who should
- 'Big Brother'; 'Project Runway': TV recaps
- 'Parks and Rec' gag reel: Don't miss your chance to see Ron Swanson dance
- 'St. Vincent' director's long road to Bill Murray: 'Can you meet me at LAX in an hour?'
- 'Criminal Minds' plans tribute to Meshach Taylor
- Jonathan Lipnicki, a.k.a. the 'Jerry Maguire' kid, has some fun in 'You Used To Be Cute'
- 13 tell-tale signs it's from Frank Miller
- 'Simpsons' writers share 15 tips to survive your 12-day marathon session
- 'Dating Naked' cast member sues after VH1 showed her naked
- 'Spider-Woman #1' has a special variant cover that is causing some controversy for some reason
- 'Mythbusters' reveal Comic-Con costume, show how to make Indiana Jones' bullwhip
- 'Dating Naked' trailer: And you thought Tinder was brutal (NSFW)
- Former child star Jonathan Lipnicki is all grown up in 'You Used To Be Cute'