While mum was the word at the Tomorrowland panel at New York Comic Con, a never-before-seen clip screened at the show shines a bit of light on Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof’s latest mystery box of a film.
Tag: Tomorrowland (1-10 of 14)
On Wednesday, we hit you with a first look at Disney’s Tomorrowland, and now we’re venturing even deeper into this realm of science and technology via the film’s teaser trailer.
The story from filmmaker Brad Bird follows teenager Casey Newton (Under the Dome’s Britt Robertson) on a quest to find this hidden place and uncover why it’s being kept secret in the first place. One man who knows some of the answers is an exile of Tomorrowland, a grizzled former “boy genius” played by George Clooney. READ FULL STORY
It never was, but is always near, can never be seen, but will always show up—although it disappears the moment it arrives…
The solution to this old riddle is simple: Tomorrow. But for those awaiting a glimpse of Disney’s upcoming sci-fi/fantasy adventure Tomorrowland, the answer is not so elusive. Here’s an exclusive preview of what’s-to-come from the deeply shrouded new Brad Bird film.
“We begin our movie asking what did [the future] used to be?” Bird says. “What’s good about the future and what’s scary about it? And we wrestle with those things in a slightly mythical way.”
• Steve Martin and Jennifer Lopez will lend their voices to DreamWorks Animation’s alien invasion comedy Home, based on Adam Rex’s children’s book The True Meaning of Smekday. Rihanna voices the main character, Gratuity Tucci (or Tip), whose mother (Lopez) was abducted by the Boov (aka aliens). Martin will voice Captain Smek, their leader, who is attempting to force all the humans to relocate to Florida. Jim Parsons will voice a Boov (coincidentally) called J.Lo, who befriends Tip. [The Wrap]
Disney is officially cutting the ribbon on Tomorrowland.
The Brad Bird-directed sci-fi film began shooting a little over two weeks ago, and secrecy has remained tight on the project, which stars George Clooney and Hugh Laurie, and takes its title from the futuristic section of Disneyland. Today the studio sent out its start-of-production announcement, which confirmed a few plot points — but left a lot still unclear.
What’s in the box?
For months, ever since Disney revealed that its upcoming, epic sci-fi saga would be called Tomorrowland, the studio has teased fans with the contents of an archived box containing a hodgepodge of mysterious items.
On Saturday at D23, Disney’s Comic-Con-like fan gathering, director Brad Bird and screenwriter Damon Lindelof opened it before thousands of onlookers.
READ FULL STORY
Casting Net: Judy Greer headed for 'Tomorrowland'?; Plus, 'Gossip Girl' alum tries Shakespeare, more
• George Clooney and Judy Greer have been working together for over 14 years: First in 1999’s Three Kings, then in 2011’s The Descendents, and now, they may be re-teaming for Disney’s Tomorrowland. Directed by Brad Bird with a script from Damon Lindelof and EW’s own Jeff Jensen, the secretive project also stars Hugh Laurie and Britt Robinson. Greer has made a career of playing quirky character roles and best friend parts in romantic comedies since she broke out in 1999 with the dark comedy Jawbreaker and the aforementioned Three Kings. As for what’s next, Greer has a role in the Carrie update with Julianne Moore and Chloe Moretz, which hits theaters Oct. 18, and is currently filming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. [Deadline]
READ FULL STORY
• Britt Robertson (Under the Dome) scored the lead in Disney’s Tomorrowland, alongside George Clooney and Hugh Laurie. The film — which will be directed by Brad Bird (The Incredibles) and written by Bird, Damon Lindelof (Star Trek Into Darkness), and Entertainment Weekly’s own Jeff “Doc” Jensen — is about “a high school girl with an unconventional understanding of technology” who “is launched on a journey to reclaim her future,” according to a Disney press release. The movie is due December 12, 2014.
• Max Greenfield (New Girl) is officially back as Detective Leo! While the actor spilled the beans about his involvement in the upcoming Veronica Mars movie last month, director Rob Marshall sealed the deal in a Kickstarter backer email Thursday. “When I first reached out to Max about being in the movie, he said he’d do the movie for free and pay for his own travel,” Marshall wrote. “This is only one of the many reasons I love Max. It’s also why actors have agents. (Don’t worry, SAG! We are paying Max!)” Greenfield also recorded a video message for his fans before he started filming.
READ FULL STORY
• Helena Bonham Carter will play the part of the fairy godmother in Kenneth Branagh’s live-action adaptation of Cinderella. According to reports, this is a slight re-imagining of the classic character and will find Bonham Carter in disguise as a beggar at first. In the oh-too-predictable version of the world, Bonham Carter would have been the wicked stepmother, and Cate Blanchett would have been the fairy godmother. Whether it’s Branagh, Disney, or the actresses (especially Bonham Carter) looking to branch out a little, we’re pleasantly surprised by the news. The project is set to begin its shoot this fall in London.
The follow-up to 2011’s The Muppets just got a little more specific. Previously titled Muppets…Again! the Disney movie’s new title is Muppets Most Wanted.
The new moniker is fitting for the movie’s storyline that has the Muppets entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine — the world’s No. 1 criminal, who has a striking resemblance to Kermit — and his sidekick Dominic, played by Ricky Gervais. Modern Family star Ty Burrell and Tina Fey also star in the film opening March 21, 2014.
Disney released updates on a few of its other upcoming films Thursday. Read on for the latest on Into the Woods, Saving Mr. Banks, and more. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read photos, including Mark Hamill as the Emperor
- FBI officially ties North Korea to Sony hack
- 'Amazing Race' season finale recap: And the winners are...
- 'Amazing Race' behind-the-scenes pics from Phil Keoghan's season 25 collection
- 'Parenthood,' 'Parks and Rec,' Agent Carter,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Kevin Hart as Will Ferrell's prison-life coach in 'Get Hard' trailer
- 'Daredevil' First Look: New photos from Netflix series
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes
- 'Mythbusters' reveal new format, explain cast changes -- exclusive
- Mark Hamill as The Emperor! Rainn Wilson is Chewbacca! Photos from the Live-Read of 'The Empire Strikes Back'
- 'The Amazing Race' season finale recap: 'All of Nothing'
- Kevin Hart teaches Will Ferrell to survive prison in 'Get Hard' trailer
- Michael Pitt exits 'Hannibal,' Joe Anderson to replace him