• We might still be lamenting the fact that Tom Hiddleston will not be appearing in The Avengers: Age of Ultron as the tormented Loki, but at least it frees him up to work with some other actors. Hiddleston has signed on to replace his War Horse co-star Benedict Cumberbatch in Guillermo del Toro’s thriller Crimson Peak, alongside Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska, and Charlie Hunnam. [THR]
Tag: Vincent Cassel (1-6 of 6)
• Rooney Mara (Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) just signed on to work with another modern auteur, Todd Haynes (Far From Heaven), for Carol, and adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s 1952 novel The Price of Salt. She’ll star alongside the venerable Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) in the film about two women in 1950s New York. Mara will play the part of Therese, a young shopgirl with dreams of the future, and Blanchett, an elegant thirtysomething woman in an unhappy marriage. Their relationship escalates when the two decide to take a road trip west. Mia Wasikowska was previously attached to the role. [Deadline]
Casting Net: Aaron Paul, Sigourney Weaver circling Ridley Scott's 'Exodus'; Plus 'Jersey Boys' updates, more
• Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Sigourney Weaver (Alien), John Turturro (O Brother, Where Art Thou?), and Ben Kingsley (Iron Man 3) are circling Ridley Scott’s biblical epic Exodus, starring Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as Ramses. Paul, now free of his Breaking Bad commitments, is currently in talks to play the part of Joshua, a Hebrew slave. Kingsley would be joining as a Hebrew scholar, while Turturro and Weaver are set to join as Ramses’s parents. Moneyball co-writer Steven Zaillian (who won an Oscar for Schindler’s List), wrote the latest version of the script. The shoot is scheduled to begin in September. [THR; Variety]
Close your eyes, sit back, and let Rosario Dawson’s soothing voice guide you through the recesses of your memory.
The third trailer for Danny Boyle’s (127 Days) upcoming art-heist thriller Trance (in theaters April 5) might be the shortest and the vaguest of the bunch, but that’s just because this one is more concerned with teasing the action than the set up. In the film, Simon (James McAvoy), an art auctioneer, gets mixed up with the wrong people in an attempt to recover a missing painting, including hypnotherapist Elizabeth (Dawson), and Franck (Vincent Cassel), an art criminal. But this is no Ocean’s Thirteen François Toulour-style dandy thief. Franck is pure evil, and clearly not afraid to get his hands dirty.
We’re feeling a little spoiled with two James McAvoy trailers in one day, even though he looks ever so slightly more distressed in this one. The trailer, which first premiered on Apple, is below.
Those of us who love Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle’s movies, filled with the type of eye-zinging visuals that flood your brain, will be happy to hear Fox Searchlight is releasing Boyle’s newest film Trance in theaters on April 5, 2013.
Starring James McAvoy (X-Men: First Class) as an art auctioneer who teams with a criminal gang to steal a Goya painting, then after a blow to the head has no idea where he hid it, the movie also stars Rosario Dawson as his hypnotherapist and handsomely rogue-ish Black Swan star Vincent Cassel as the gang’s bad-guy leader.
Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours director Boyle helmed the movie from a script by longtime collaborator John Hodge. And if the film’s colorful, fragmented poster and trailer are any indication, the movie has some Freud-worthy, consciousness-shattering twists up its sleeve.
For more film news Follow @solvej_schou
Danny Boyle’s first project since vanquishing Lord Voldemort at the London Olympics involves an art heist and hypnotherapy. Naturally.
In the Slumdog Millionaire director’s new feature, Trance, James McAvoy plays an art auctioneer who teams up with a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) to recover the location of a painting that goes missing during an attempted robbery. French actor Vincent Cassel plays the baddie in charge of the heist. Romance, intrigue, and thick foreign accents abound.
Watch the trailer below:
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' recap: 'Edward Mordrake, Part 2'
- 'Survivor' recap: The price of rice is right?
- 'Survivor': 3 Q's for Jeff Probst and an exclusive deleted scene
- Spider-Man fans, take a good long look at Marvel's latest Summer '15 teaser
- 'South Park' react: Attack of the drones
- 'Arrow'; 'Nashville'; 'Top Chef'; 'The 100'; 'Kingdom'; more TV recaps
- 17 creepiest TV shows
- 31 scariest movies of all time: Chris Nashawaty's picks
- Lily Rabe to appear on 'American Horror Story: Freak Show,' reprise 'Asylum' role
- This week's cover: First look at 'Terminator: Genisys'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' star joins Kevin Williamson's CBS drama pilot
- Syfy plans to lure you back with these 5 shows
- 'Halo 2' shows revamped cinematics in new trailer