Gregg Allman has written a personal letter to director Randall Miller, asking him to pull the plug on Midnight Rider, a biopic of the legendary rocker, after the fatal train accident that killed second-camera assistant Sarah Jones and injured six others in February. “I am writing to you as one human being to another, and appealing to you from my heart,” Allman wrote, as first reported by the The Hollywood Reporter. “I am asking you from a personal perspective not to go forward.” READ FULL STORY
Tag: William Hurt (1-5 of 5)
William Hurt has withdrawn from a bio-pic of southern rocker Gregg Allman that has been targeted with a boycott by Hollywood crew workers following the death of a camera assistant in February, his representatives tell EW.
“The show must go on” is a maxim that has been around for as long as there have been shows – a rallying call for casts and crews who lose someone in the midst of a production. But the opposite call to action – “The show must stop” — is being directed at Midnight Rider. READ FULL STORY
• Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) is reportedly interested in portraying Spanish explorer Hernando Cortés in Montezuma, a nearly 50-year old Dalton Trumbo (Spartacus) script that Oscar-winner Steve Zaillian (Schindler’s List) is updating. Steven Spielberg may have his sights on directing the project for DreamWorks, who currently owns the rights. Trumbo had apparently written the original script (one draft was 205 pages long!) for Kirk Douglas and director Martin Ritt. [Deadline]
• William Hurt will join Colin Farrell, Jessica Brown Findlay (Downton Abbey), Will Smith, and Russell Crowe in the rare mid-budget literary fable Winter’s Tale. Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind) is making his directorial debut with his adaptation of the Mark Helprin novel, about a young woman (Findlay) who falls for a thief (Farrell) after he tries to rob from her vast Manhattan mansion. Hurt will play her father. Smith and Crowe have supporting roles. [Deadline]
• Girls‘s breakout Adam Driver (i.e. Lena Dunham’s oft-shirtless quasi-boyfriend) has joined the indie romantic comedy The F Word, playing the cocksure best friend to Daniel Radcliffe‘s character as he attempts to maneuver his way through being friends with a major crush (Zoe Kazan), who inconveniently has a long-term boyfriend. Michael Dowse (Goon) is directing from Elan Mastai‘s adaptation of the stage play by Michael Rinaldi and T.J. Dawe. [Variety]
• Margo Martindale‘s long deserved post-Emmy career boost continues, with the Justified actress joining the weighty cast of August: Osage County as the more-complex-than-she-seems sister of Meryl Streep‘s domineering family matriarch. Costars include Julia Roberts, Abigail Breslin, Juliette Lewis, and Chris Cooper as Martindale’s husband. John Wells is directing, and Tracy Letts adapted his Pulitzer Prize-winning play for the screen. [Deadline]
• B.J. Novak (The Office) has joined Saving Mr. Banks, the true story about how Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) spent years cajoling Mary Poppins creator P.L. Travers for the rights to her literary creation. Novak will play Robert Sherman, who with his brother Richard (Jason Schwartzman), wrote the eventual Disney musical’s iconic songs. So basically he’s going to have “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” running through his head for months on end. John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side) is directing. [THR]
Casting Net: Hugh Jackman keen on MLK Jr. conspiracy drama. Plus: Selena Gomez, James Franco, Diane Lane
Casting Net: Emma Stone attached to Cameron Crowe romance. Plus: Russell Brand, Taylor Kitsch, Bill Murray
Casting Net: Alex Pettyfer to run off with Kristen Stewart in ‘Cali.’ Plus: Jason Schwartzman, Paul Giamatti
Latest Videos in Movies
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- Lindsay Lohan selfie with Tina Fey teases EW's fall 'Mean Girls' reunion
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off': Why it's great/why it grates
- David Letterman's tribute to Robin Williams
- 'Pretty Little Liars'; 'Bachelor in Paradise'; 'True Blood'; more TV recaps
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer Yes/No/Can't Say (or more) to your Twitter Q's
- 'NCIS' casts Stephanie Jacobsen; a new love interest for DiNozzo?