By the time Blue Is the Warmest Color won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival last May, the three-hour French lesbian coming-of-age drama, with its deliriously explicit and extended sex scenes, was mired in controversy. But not because of the usual conservative fuddy-duddies (the ratings board, the Catholic Church). The movie was under siege from more progressive forces, including the author of the graphic novel on which it was based. I always expected the controversy to follow Blue Is the Warmest Color to America. Yet now that the film is finally set to open (this Friday), I was shocked to see the debate spill over into an open war between the film’s director, Abdellatif Kechiche, and his two lead actresses, Adèle Exarchopoulos and Léa Seydoux, all of whom had been in seeming solidarity just a few months earlier. Clearly, this is a movie not just to watch but to fight about. In that spirit, I thought I’d rerun my original post on the controversy, which first appeared on June 8. Here it is, just as it ran then: READ FULL STORY
Tag: yes sex still sells (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the BAU in new 'Criminal Minds' art
- J.Lo and Iggy Azalea extend the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- 'The Knick' recap: 'Start Calling Me Dad'
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Shonda Rhimes puts Callie-Arizona odds at 50/50
- 'Into the Woods' character names not getting Disney makeover (Updated)
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Once Upon a Time': Will Elsa 'Let It Go'? Or build a snowman?
- J-Lo and Iggy continue the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle' and more