Ever since the Golden Globes — a.k.a. the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a.k.a. a very small (under 100) group of cultishly enigmatic and otherwise insignificant entertainment-industry journalists from around the world who like getting free drinks and being photographed with movie stars — voted to choose American Hustle as one of their five nominees for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, there’s been an unofficial debate, played out in reviews and early water-cooler chatter, about whether or not the movie is, in fact, a comedy. I think we can agree that it’s not a musical (though I did love its use of Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work” and that Arabic cover version of “White Rabbit”). To me, it’s not a comedy either, although it did make me laugh a lot. Some critics I hold in high esteem, like Richard Corliss of Time and Manohla Dargis of The New York Times, have said that the movie is, indeed, a comedy. A hundred Talmudic scholars could chew over the question of whether there are enough jokes in American Hustle to leave you giggling on the head of a pin — and if there are, I suppose that would mean that, yes, the movie is a comedy. I personally think that the Golden Globes, trying to smear the wealth around in their usual promiscuous and fun and quasi-mindless way, made a categorical mistake. But in the end, it’s not really a big deal. I’m glad that American Hustle — a great movie, whether it’s a drama or a comedy — got nominated in one of the Globes’ Best Motion Picture categories instead of being left out. That gives it awards momentum. By the time the Oscar nominations come along, no one will remember, or care very much, about whether American Hustle was unfairly branded as a movie that’s fundamentally a laff riot. READ FULL STORY
Tag: You laughin' at me? (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Jessica Lange's 'AHS: Freak Show' role: 'delusional, narcissistic, ruthless in her ambition'
- Valerie Cherish's return promises to be 'like 'Comeback' crack' for fans
- Fantastic Fest preview: Out-there movies, food fights, and co-founder's possible KO
- 'Making a Scene with James Franco': 6 new photos from movie mash-up series
- Andrew Rannells talks 'Hedwig,' 'Book of Mormon,' 'Girls'
- 'Revenge' season 4 trailer: 'Emily Thorne, I'm coming for you'
- 'Castle' cast gets slap-happy in season 6 gag reel
- 'Utopia' ratings plummet 752
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 517
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 481
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 339
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Revenge' first look: Watch the trailer for season 4
- Ryan Murphy on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'This season, once you die, you're dead'
- 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Tapestry Revealed