Ever since the Golden Globes — a.k.a. the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a.k.a. a very small (under 100) group of cultishly enigmatic and otherwise insignificant entertainment-industry journalists from around the world who like getting free drinks and being photographed with movie stars — voted to choose American Hustle as one of their five nominees for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, there’s been an unofficial debate, played out in reviews and early water-cooler chatter, about whether or not the movie is, in fact, a comedy. I think we can agree that it’s not a musical (though I did love its use of Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work” and that Arabic cover version of “White Rabbit”). To me, it’s not a comedy either, although it did make me laugh a lot. Some critics I hold in high esteem, like Richard Corliss of Time and Manohla Dargis of The New York Times, have said that the movie is, indeed, a comedy. A hundred Talmudic scholars could chew over the question of whether there are enough jokes in American Hustle to leave you giggling on the head of a pin — and if there are, I suppose that would mean that, yes, the movie is a comedy. I personally think that the Golden Globes, trying to smear the wealth around in their usual promiscuous and fun and quasi-mindless way, made a categorical mistake. But in the end, it’s not really a big deal. I’m glad that American Hustle — a great movie, whether it’s a drama or a comedy — got nominated in one of the Globes’ Best Motion Picture categories instead of being left out. That gives it awards momentum. By the time the Oscar nominations come along, no one will remember, or care very much, about whether American Hustle was unfairly branded as a movie that’s fundamentally a laff riot. READ FULL STORY
Tag: You laughin' at me? (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Utopia': Meet the cast of new reality series
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- Pierce Brosnan's got game? 007 vs. Jimmy Fallon in a round of 'Goldeneye'
- Lindsay Lohan selfie with Tina Fey teases EW's fall 'Mean Girls' reunion
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': Telling Louis Zamperini's story 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Wahlburgers'...or glimpse at real-life 'Entourage'? First Look
- 'NCIS' casts Stephanie Jacobsen; a new love interest for DiNozzo?
- Stephanie Jacobsen joins 'NCIS'... as a love interest for DiNozzo?
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Love it or loathe it? EW debates Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off'