Ever since the Golden Globes — a.k.a. the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a.k.a. a very small (under 100) group of cultishly enigmatic and otherwise insignificant entertainment-industry journalists from around the world who like getting free drinks and being photographed with movie stars — voted to choose American Hustle as one of their five nominees for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, there’s been an unofficial debate, played out in reviews and early water-cooler chatter, about whether or not the movie is, in fact, a comedy. I think we can agree that it’s not a musical (though I did love its use of Steely Dan’s “Dirty Work” and that Arabic cover version of “White Rabbit”). To me, it’s not a comedy either, although it did make me laugh a lot. Some critics I hold in high esteem, like Richard Corliss of Time and Manohla Dargis of The New York Times, have said that the movie is, indeed, a comedy. A hundred Talmudic scholars could chew over the question of whether there are enough jokes in American Hustle to leave you giggling on the head of a pin — and if there are, I suppose that would mean that, yes, the movie is a comedy. I personally think that the Golden Globes, trying to smear the wealth around in their usual promiscuous and fun and quasi-mindless way, made a categorical mistake. But in the end, it’s not really a big deal. I’m glad that American Hustle — a great movie, whether it’s a drama or a comedy — got nominated in one of the Globes’ Best Motion Picture categories instead of being left out. That gives it awards momentum. By the time the Oscar nominations come along, no one will remember, or care very much, about whether American Hustle was unfairly branded as a movie that’s fundamentally a laff riot. READ FULL STORY
Tag: You laughin' at me? (1-1 of 1)
Latest Videos in Movies
- 'Survivor' recap: The Spy Who Shacked Me
- 'Arrow' react: 'Seeing Red'
- 'Arrow' boss talks 'Seeing Red' shocker
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- Meg Ryan joins 'How I Met Your Dad' as narrator
- 'Nashville' recap: Live From the Ryman
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty': Purr-plexed?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 657
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 508
- Slaves to Love 466
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
- Kenya Get Your Scepter 479
- 'How I Met Your Mother' spin-off casts Meg Ryan
- 'Jurassic World': See the first images from the set of next summer's dinosaur flick -- EXCLUSIVE
- 'Arrow' post mortem: Boss opens up about the shocking [spoiler]!
- A serious attempt to explain Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty' music video
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN